CH. 5 Situation

We both continue to catch our breaths. I lean on my knees, peering up at him. "Weird that we keep bumping into each other..." I chuckle lightly. Stanford rolls his eyes but nods in agreement. "Agreed, though not too odd given the circumstances." He places a hand on his chin. "When you told me about your gnome encounter, I wanted to see what other traces I could find..."

I giggle a little. "That explains why you were there..."

But then, silence falls between us, thick with tension and awkwardness. My body reminds me of how sleep-deprived and bruised I am, and I wince in pain. "Well..." Stanford tuts his tongue, glancing around at the trees. "It's best for you to get going. You look exhausted..."

Sleep sounds heavenly right now. Yet, something nags at my mind. I straighten up as best I can, leaning against a tree. I scowl at nothing.

Stanford notices my change in expression. "What? I thought you'd want to rest after all that. I sure do..." I take a deep breath, unsure how to break this to him—or even to myself. "Well, Stanford. My home is compromised. Not only is my door on the ground, but the gnomes know where I live. I can't just... go back."

I use my bruised arm to push myself off the tree, limping as I pace around. He watches me knowingly, removing his hand from his chin and sliding it into his pockets. "You have a point," he mumbles.

"And it's not like I can just rent a new home! Leases don't work like that!" My thoughts drift from my pain to the reality of my situation.

Stanford raises a finger. "Perhaps a hotel? For now, at least until you can—" I cut him off, and he flinches back. I already know that won't work.

"No..." I reply. I don't want to argue; a hotel is far too expensive for me right now. "It's a form of temporary housing..." he counters nervously. I stare at him, hoping he'll get the message. Desperation creeps in, and I feel closed in.

His face darkens as he sees my expression change. It seems to click for him. "Oh..." he whispers, looking up at the sky to avoid my gaze. "Yes. Oh." I inhale deeply, feeling my voice break under the stress. I run my fingers through my messy hair.

As I blow out a breath, Stanford fidgets nervously. Watching him, I can't help but feel guilty. He just helped save me from a horde of gnomes. I blink back tears, letting the chill air fill my lungs and allowing myself a moment to relax.

"I normally wouldn't suggest this..." Stanford breaks the silence, piquing my interest. His expression is a mix of fear and dread. I motion for him to continue. "This feels extremely odd, given that I've barely known you for two days. I don't want you to get the wrong idea or think that I'll kidnap you or—" He notices he's rambling and clears his throat. He looks at me.

"My point is," he states, "I live in a lab downtown. Since this may be an emergency, I should have a guest room or a couch. I'm... um..." He looks awkward, still avoiding the main point. "I'm inviting you to stay at my place, temporarily, until you get back on your feet."

Silence engulfs us again as I weigh my options. The breeze adds to the discomfort of our standoff in the woods. On one hand, I can't return home, and on the other, I barely know Stanford. I clench my fists in frustration, not sure whether to scream, cry, or curl into a ball. He sighs, "I don't like it either..."

I nod once, making my choice. "Alright." Taking a deep breath, I hold up my arms awkwardly and march toward him with feigned confidence. "Only for now. Until my lease is up. Then I can move."

Stanford remains tense but moves anyway. He pulls a flashlight from his coat pocket to light our path. We trudge through the thick woods for over an hour. If the situation weren't so dire, I might have appreciated the beauty of the night sky. I glance at Stanford, unsure, but his gaze is stern and fixed on the path ahead.

He switches off the flashlight as we step into a parking lot. To my dismay, we're moving closer to a large white van. I frantically look side to side, my anxiety rising. What if he lied? What if he's planning to kidnap me? My heart races as the van doors slide open, but instead of a terrifying scene, I'm met with multicolored buttons and the hum of machinery.

I blink, trying to suppress my fears. Stanford finally glances at me and explains, "This used to be a weather van. I bought it to track the weather more accurately for my expeditions. I also wanted to monitor any unusual weather patterns that could correlate with Gravity Falls." He pats the side of the van like it's a noble steed.

I step inside slowly. "You're really committed to documenting everything, aren't you?" I ask, searching for somewhere to sit. Stanford climbs in too, moving toward the front. "I've been studying these subjects for a long time..." he replies as I shut the van door. He turns the key, and the engine jitters awake. I grip something tightly. I hope this doesn't cost a fortune.

Stanford glances at the rearview mirror. "I'll reinstall seating tomorrow. I didn't exactly expect to have a passenger any time soon." I steady myself, opting to sit on the van floor—it feels safer than standing.

I offer an awkward smile, trying to reassure him, even though we both know it's pointless. "No, no, it's alright. No biggie... Just—let me know if there's a bump or something." He nods and turns back to the road. "Well, the road to my home is a dirt one..."

I grumble to myself at his response, gripping the machinery for dear life. The van moves, backing up before turning onto the road. For now, it's smooth. I hope it stays that way.