Chapter 1: A Promise Made

May 7, 1819

London, England

Adrian Warble considered himself to be a reasonable sort of person. Perhaps with a slight reputation as a former rake and for having a hot temper, but... reasonable. Still, he could not help but stare at his friend across the table where they shared some tea and biscuits in her garden.

Miranda Dashcombe, the Duchess of Winterbourne, was the picture of elegant poise. Lustrous chestnut curls framed her face, and her blue eyes sparkled in the sunlight.

"Excuse me," he said. "I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You want me to take on a cabin boy for my personal use for one voyage only? And he's the son of someone you know?"

The duchess nodded before having another sip of her tea. Something about the innocent look on her face set off alarm bells in the back of his mind.

"Does this boy have any experience as a cabin boy?"

"None."

He groaned. Great.

"Any ship experience at all?" he asked, even though he suspected he knew the answer.

"Afraid not."

"So why, exactly, should I take him on?"

Rain smiled. "Because you owe me. And you mentioned having recently lost your cabin boy."

Adrian pinched the bridge of his nose, sighing. "I do need a new cabin boy, but I was rather hoping for someone with experience. Training a newcomer will be a hassle, especially if he's only joining for one voyage."

"Come now, Adrian." Rain leaned forward, her eyes twinkling. "Where's your sense of adventure? You've always been one to rise to the challenge."

It was hard not to chuckle at her persistence. No one could accuse the Duchess of Winterbourne of not being stubborn. "You know me too well. But I have to ask, what's so special about this boy that you're calling in a favour for him?"

Waving a hand dismissively, she set her cup down. "Oh, just a promise I made to his family. They're keen for him to see a bit of the world. Gain some life experience. And I thought, who better to guide him than the intrepid Captain Warble?"

Adrian raised an eyebrow, not entirely convinced. "And there's no other reason you're being so cryptic about this boy?"

"He needs to get to America and you need a cabin boy. It's your next destination anyway, is it not? Seems like providence to me." She smiled again. "You trust me, don't you?"

Meeting her gaze, he saw the sincerity beneath the playfulness. She had been a true friend since he got to know her, even if somewhat unconventional at times. Which was probably exactly why they got along so well. Rain would often take care of his pet iguana when he had business in London. His family refused to house the lizard. Rain, on the other hand, accepted any creature under her roof—something he suspected often frustrated her husband.

"Of course I trust you," he said. "I just hope I won't regret it this time."

She clapped her hands in delight. "Excellent! I knew I could count on you. As I'm sure you understand, I can't have a family friend's son travel across the Atlantic with just anyone. I'll have the boy sent to your ship first thing tomorrow morning."

Draining his tea, Adrian was already mentally preparing himself for the challenges ahead. "I hope you know what you're asking for. And if this all goes sideways, I'm holding you personally responsible."

His threat met with nothing but a pearly laugh. "Please. What can a lone cabin boy possibly do to ruin your voyage?"

Many things. Dump his dinner in the ocean. Forget to keep his clothes clean. Only offer cold baths—one of his former cabin boys had considered himself above lugging hot water from the kitchens to the captain's quarters because he was the fifth son of a viscount. He had never made another voyage aboard the Amelia.