CHAPTER 20| Priceless

AMARA 

I kept pacing up and down because I was nervous for what was going to happen tonight. It's not a secret that my father is throwing me a birthday and it's going to be family and very close friends only. It was supposed to be a mother of all parties but he suddenly changed that and said only a few friends of mine could attend and they must be the ones I really trust. I didn't understand why he suddenly decided that and he didn't offer any explanations but I think it has something to do with Omar because I haven't seen him since we flew back. 

We flew together with him and we slept but the next morning I didn't see him and I didn't ask but I know that our parents know because it was just the four of us since Milan lives in London. I didn't ask where Omar was because I didn't care and I wasn't going to worry about someone who means me hard and who's capable of taking care of themselves. 

I looked at myself through the mirror and I looked beautiful but I was feeling anxious because tonight I'm planning to introduce Kwame to my family officially as my boyfriend. I don't know how my father is going to handle it but I hope he will accept that Kwame is part of my life and that is never going to change. I take a deep breath and slowly release it just as the door opens. 

She giggles first before walking in with my sister. Inga flew in yesterday and she has been having the time of her life. She has a glass of something in her hand and I just hope she's not yet tipsy because the night hasn't begun and I don't think my father will like that she is drunk. He's strict and I don't want him to think that she's a certain type of a person. It's my birthday and my girl is happy. 

“You look worried when you should be feeling like on top of the world, I know I would be.” She giggled again standing next to me. 
“What are you drinking?”
“Bubbly, your dad scares me because he's all serious and doesn't smile at all so I needed something to make me feel calm around him.” 
“Dad is just a big teddy bear, scary on the outside but very soft on the inside. He's happy that you're here for your friend” Milan laughed.
“Well he should smile more, that would make him more…” I peeked at her and she laughed again. 

“I wasn't going to say that Amara but yes it would make him more handsome.”
“Oh my God” I groaned, they laughed. 
“So, are you still worried about Kwame coming?” My sister whispered.
“I am and he won't be alone. I invited Ade and along with Kwame's friends. Do you think they will show up?” 
“I'm not sure but they are obviously going to come regardless because Kwame can't go anywhere without them. Look, mom will be there so don't worry besides he already knows what's going on between you and Kwame.” 

“But sis, I'm the youngest out of all of you and I'm the first one who's going to introduce their boyfriend to the family? Not even our older brother or you for that matter. Maybe I should just wait and tell Kwame not to come.” 
“Amara, you're a grown woman now and you are allowed to make your own decisions without worrying about anyone else. You met your soulmate and if the time feels right for you to officially introduce him to your parents then do it. Don't let fear hold you back from something that you really want to do. You know Kwame is the one and babi will respect that.”

“Your sister is right. I think your father will appreciate that you wanted him to know who you'll be with when you're not at home or with your friends and who should he hold responsible if anything happens to you when you're not at home and maybe you won't have to sneak it at night like a thief.” We laughed. 

I told her about how dad caught me and I couldn't even look at him the next morning during breakfast. 
“You look absolutely beautiful sis. Your day started well and it's going to end that way too.” 
“I don't know what I would ever do without you in my life.” I expressed. We hugged, Inga joined us too.