Chapter 31

Olivia's pov:

When we arrive back at the house, one of Kent's men opens the door and gets out.
As soon as he moves, so I can see the front of the house, I see Kent.

"Olivia. Inside. Now."

I roll my eyes and take a deep breath, steeling myself, walking into his office. Stopping just as I cross the threshold.

"Close the door."
Kent demands, his back to me as he leans his arm against the mantle of the fireplace, staring down into the fire.

I don't do anything for a moment, staring at the fire myself.

"What did you think you were doing today?"

"I..... acted on instinct. I didn't really think about it. Ivan was there, all of sudden, his car across the road - and I got out because Jerome was going to shoot him and get himself killed. So I went to tell Ivan not to come any further, and he said he wouldn't if I went out with him for the day and....
I went with him to protect Jerome and to get more information for you."

"Information for...... me?"

I nod. And don't tell him it's for myself as well.

Something shifts in Kent's eyes and I can see that he is surprised and flattered that I thought of him at that moment.

I showed him that I'm on his side. But he hides his emotions under an angry face.
He is jealous, not angry.

"And you thought a date was a good idea, Olivia?"
Kent asks condescendingly, putting his hands in his pocket and slowly walking over to me at my place at the door.
"You thought that a great response to my enemy blocking your path to the stables was to go on a date with him?"

"It wasn't a date, Kent."

"Drinking all day at a bar, laughing, kissing. It sounds like a date to me, girl."

"We didn't kiss. I was just trying to get him drunk  so I could get information out of him easier. But your goons showed up and ruined everything."

Kent rolls his eyes. He looks even angrier now.

"Does it matter if you kissed, Olivia? The damage is done. You were seen today, did you know that? That place he took you - it's a gathering place. Neutral territory. So, it wasn't just you and him there in that darkness - no. Men from all families saw you there. Your father's men saw you there. Alden was the one who called me, in fact, to tell me where you were."

I go ridged at the realisation.

"My father can go to hell for all I care. It's none of your or my father's business what I do or don't do. Besides, he was the one who introduced me to Ivan. If he thinks I'm playing his game, doesn't that work in our benefit?"

Kent sighs.

"Haven't you learned enough, Olivia? To know that you can't trust your instincts in this world?That it's always one step ahead of you?"

I sigh. I know he's right but I starting to give up trying.
I don't give a shit about Kent's pride. I want information. I want a way out.
He was playing me instead of me playing him, and that pisses me off.

"Have I not been kind to you, Olivia? Have I not given you your horse, given you your sister back? You have everything you need to live a happy life, if you'd just stay within the lines I draw for you."
He raises his voice in the final words of his sentence, and I clench my teeth, trying to control my anger.

"I'm tired of you controlling my life! I have to wear the clothes you pick out for me every morning, not getting a choice in it. I participate in the approved activities you plan, I talk to the people you want me to, when you want me to. I get no fucking freedom! What's next, Kent? Are you going to pick my food out for me, plan my meals? Cut my meat on my plate every morning?"