4: A New Face

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"No!"

"I'm telling you, the quickest way to get to Sumeru will be through the port in Liyue Harbor."

"The quickest way to expose me, more like it," Soleil grimaced, "Going through the wilderness might take us longer, but it decreases the chances we get of being caught."

"Don't be difficult, Soleil. Your safety is our priority here and I'm not risking it by crossing paths with Fatui and hilichurls in the wilderness. A boat will take us to Sumeru faster than if we go on foot," Cyno crossed his arms.

"Since when have the Fatui and the hilichurls become a danger to the General Mahamatra?" Soleil asked dubiously. Cyno sighed.

"Fine. The other reason why I propose the water route is because I'm not quite familiar with the ways and shortcuts in Liyue. Like I said, I'm not risking anything," Cyno stated.

"And the reason why I want to avoid Liyue Harbor is because of the Qixing and their spies scattered all over the place. Do not underestimate their silence. I'm sure they saw you and Luna on your way to Mondstadt. If they saw me with you, it'll raise suspicions," Soleil said sternly.

Cyno sighed, realizing their argument came to standstill. He knew it'd be safer for them both if they reached Sumeru as soon as possible. But if Liyue is not safe for the scholar to go through...

"It's barely been a day and we're already disagreeing on something," Cyno grumbled, "I can't say I missed this part of our interactions."

"Then stop giving me reasons to argue with you," Soleil sighed. "It's not like I've got a choice," Cyno said.

They both went silent as they reached the deserted Mingyun Village. Once they exit the village, they'll be faced with two roads by the marsh: the one leading west towards the wilderness, and the road leading south towards Liyue Harbor. They needed to make a choice.

"Let's rest here for the night. If you can think of something else, I'll hear it out," Cyno said, "I should go get something to eat."

"I'll cook," Soleil mumbled, which Cyno nodded at thankfully. Despite their argument, they still knew they had to look out for one another.

The pair took one of the better looking houses in the village and set up the fire. Cyno hunted a few birds and prepared the fowl meat by removing the feathers and the organs.

Soleil decided to make a pot of stew that was enough for the two of them. The leftovers were seasoned heavily with salt and wrapped in cloth, preventing it from rotting.

"Needs more flavor," Cyno commented after taking a small sip of the stew broth. The salt was there, but it was still lacking.

"There should be some stock herbs in Babylon. Give me a minute," Soleil said and disappeared into the realm of her pocket watch.

Unfazed by her sudden disappearance, Cyno stirred the pot and adjusted the firewood. Soleil came back a few moments later, a handful of fresh herbs taken from the botany garden in Babylon.

The added chopped herbs managed to satisfy Cyno's palate and he served a bowl to Soleil. He was not one to be picky with food since he was out and about. But considering Soleil's weakened state, he needed to make food that had nutritional value.

"Eat. You need to regain your strength before we proceed further," Cyno said. "Fine," Soleil grumbled, finding the entire scene a little too familiar.

"Have you decided on what route we should take? If not, we're proceeding with my plan," Cyno said. Soleil took her time drinking the broth before speaking.