40 - Devin

*** Mature Content ***

Lando shuts the door to his apartment behind us and checks the locks twice before removing his shoes. My hands are sticky from carrying our melted ice cream bucket back up from the beach to dispose of in a trash can so I kick off my shoes and walk into the kitchen to wash them. I hear Lando follow me from the front door.

"Fuck I'm exhausted." He groans, leaning his hip on the counter beside me as I finish washing my hands. When I step away from the sink he washes his too.

"Me too. It's been a long few days."

Lando nods and I dry off my hands on the dishtowel hanging from the stove door. I release the towel and feel Lando come to stand behind me. His body heat radiates through his clothing and my breath involuntarily hitches. Slowly, he reaches with both hands around me, one on either side for the towel I've just let go of. I can feel his breath against my neck as he dries his hands, his lips close to the exposed skin there.

"People took pictures of us today."

I nod, suddenly finding it hard to breathe. "I know."

"You didn't let go of my hand when you saw them."

I pause for a second and look up at him. "Should I have?"

"No. No Dev I never want you to stop holding me. Touching me."

"And..." my words fail as he places his hands on my hips. He skims his fingers barely under the material of my top sending goosebumps along my skin and shivers down my back. "What about McLaren? Are we- I mean are you allowed?"

"Am I allowed to be seen with you? You're my physiotherapist Dev."

He knows what I mean by the teasing tone in his voice but he wants to hear me say it. "Are we allowed to date?"

I can feel my cheeks go hot and I don't know if it's from the embarrassment of having to ask, or the hand Lando currently has up my shirt palming my breasts through the material of my lace bra. I play with the pendant on my necklace, swinging it back and forth, needing to do something with my hands. The sound of the pendant moving along the chain echoes quietly in my ears along with my heartbeat.

"Devin Garett," I can hear the smile in Lando's voice and I try to look back at Lando. He releases me slightly, spinning me around enough for me to meet his eyes fully. Does Lando have air conditioning? I swear he does but it doesn't feel like it. "Are you saying you want to date me?"

Broken air conditioning. Has to be.

My mouth goes dry and I look up at Lando who is now impossibly closer to me. He reaches around my hips and turns my body to face him. We are an arm's reach away, close enough so I can smell his cologne, and if I reach out I could run my fingers through his curls. Or pull him closer by the belt loops on his jeans.

"I," my voice stutters.

Lando's face turns up in the brightest smile and a gasp escapes me when I'm suddenly pulled quickly into his arms so our bodies are flush against each other. I can feel his desire against my front, and I look up to meet his eyes. His green eyes have a sparkle, a certain lightness to them that I didn't know until now was missing. He looks more than happy, more than joyous or pleased. He looks something like– "I love you, Devin."

He looks like he loves me.

The smile that breaks out over my face feels like the most natural thing in the world. "I love you too."

Our smiles are interrupted and Lando slams his mouth over mine in the most needing, yearning way. Like he has been waiting to kiss me his whole life. The kiss is searing, making my body feel light, and hot at the same time but it's a quick kiss and Lando pulls back. I don't manage to quiet the noise of disappointment on my lips and he smiles again. "Yes, I'm allowed to date you Dev, and you me." I can feel my shoulders relax, the tenseness fading from them. I wasn't scared of the media facing us, not Zak or McLaren. But the uncertainty of full acceptance bugged me a little. "Zak would probably be happy if he knew we were dating. He knows about you and I, our history."