Part 76

At nine o'clock in the evening, each vehicle group drove back to the camp around the Pagoda.

 Jiang Yao went to the racers' meeting to check the road book, while Ye Rou conducted a systematic inspection of the Lancia.

 This place is close to the town, so any missing parts can be replaced.

   Starting tomorrow, they will go deep into the desert, so if they want to overhaul the car, they can only wait until the day off.

 She checked the Lancia's engine in particular.

 If a racing car is compared to a person, the heart of Lancia is probably already in its sixties or seventies, approaching retirement age.

 This may very well be its last battle.

 During the five years that she and Jiang Yao were separated, Lancia had always been by his side, and Ye Rou had a different feeling for Lancia.

 As if it were a precious friend.

 She changed the oil and gave it a thorough maintenance.

 When Jiang Yao came back, she was still squatting there concentrating on wiping the parts.

    He called her twice, but she didn't hear him.

 Jiang Yao simply squatted down and pinched the back of her neck: "Good baby, don't be so dedicated, eat first."

 "Okay."

     Ye Rou turned her back, took the chopsticks and lunch box from him, and sat on the ground next to Lancia.

 She had lost all her airs as a young lady, but Jiang Yao couldn't bear to let her go.

    He curled his lips, as if he was a little dissatisfied with himself: "I should have asked the logistics team to come along earlier."

 Ye Rou opened the lunch box in her hand and looked at him: "What are you following me for?"

 Jiang Yao sat down next to her, stretching out his long legs: "If they came, you wouldn't have to sit on the ground to eat."

 Ye Rou's eyebrows moved: "What's the big deal? I actually feel very comfortable this way."

 Jiang Yao stroked her forehead: "That's right."

 After a long while, Ye Rou smiled: "But, the chair is indeed comfortable. The floor is not dry yet, and it feels cold when sitting on it."

 The sun had already set below the horizon, the lights in the camp came on, and the girl's eyes were filled with stars.

 Jiang Yao patted his legs and said, "Here, I will be your free human chair, with a constant temperature of 37 degrees."

 Ye Rou: "Forget it."

 Jiang Yao turned sideways, put his arm around her waist, lifted her up, and pulled her across his lap to sit horizontally.

 Ye Rou's ears felt hot, and she tried to get up, but Jiang Yao grabbed her waist.

 He rested his chin on the side of her shoulder, sniffed at the base of her ear, and touched her back with his palm. "Rou Rou, it's not like you haven't sat on my lap before. Why are you shy? Are you afraid that I will come after you?"

 Ye Rou swallowed and said, "No..."

 Jiang Yao: "Come to think of it, it's been a long time since I did this. I really like the way you hug my neck and kiss me. My heart beats like a dove taking off..."

 Ye Rou felt ashamed and embarrassed, so she turned around and pinched him.

 Jiang Yao laughed: "See, you got angry out of shame."