chapter 20

Laria

As I opened the front door the warmth of my home wrapped around me like a deceptive blanket , promising safety but offering none .

I could sense mom in the kitchen, her freshly baked cookies smelling around the whole house as usual.

"You're back. Come taste th-"

I just brush past her without a word my heart pounding and tears burning the back of my eyes.

"Laria, is everything alright?" My mom called out , concern lacing her voice .

Without responding I just look away from her as I enter the lift . I could feel her gaze following me , filled with worry and confusion but I couldn't face her now .

Once inside my room , the door clicked shut as I put my bag on the sofa and got into my blankets. And without any second wasted I drift to sleep .

.....

Danton

"Oh shit , I think I'm going to punch , I'll be back." Barry says and runs to the bathroom.

I look at Meera and I'm still trying to find a way to talk to her.

"Your mom is a good cook ."

She says eating the sandwich that my mom made for her . My mom is always trying to make Meera welcome, she always makes whatever she wants but when me and Barry ask she says no .

"I was thinking that maybe we should try going out."

"Danton we always go out , but if you want then when Barry comes ba-"

"No I meant us , just you and I."

I look at her waiting for an answer but she's just starring at me.

"Sorry , we don't have to."

"No no , it's just , why?"

"I don't know , I feel like I see you as someone who's not just a friend."

"Wow, I...I don't know what to say. "

"I'll wait."

"No you don't have to , sure we can go. "

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah , but maybe next week. I still need to prepare, it's a date right?"

"Yeah , it is . Of course it is ."

I smile and look at her . This is awkward.

She looks at her phone before sighing.

"Oh shoot , I have to get going. Tell Barry I said goodbye."

"Ok bye."

.......

Laria

. I blinked, my eyelids heavy yet curious, and took a moment to collect my thoughts. Everything felt fuzzy and dreamlike, as if I had drifted through time itself while wrapped in the embrace of sleep.

I sat up, my body warm and cocooned in layers of blankets. It took her a moment to register where she was.

Glancing at the clock on the bedside table, my heart raced. It was late at night-more than eight hours since I'd nestled into bed. Thank goodness it's Friday, I'm so not in the mood for school.

I strive off the bed and I'm shook when I find my mom sleeping on the couch . I stand up slowly and walk to the bathroom.

I look in the mirror and my eyes are blowed out . At least I still look hot , right?

All I know right now is if I don't eat anything I'm dying in a few.

I walk out of the bathroom and I find my mother gone . I take a shower just to bring my body back to life . After changing I enter the lift and I head to the kitchen.

"Mom."

"Oh you're awake ."

I look at her before walking to hug her .

"Aw, are you okay? "

I shake my head.

"No , but I'm sorry for acting like that earlier. "

"No , I just hope you slept it out though."

"Mmm. I'm hungry ."

"I know , I'm already heating food for you. I thought I'd make your favourite dish today."

I smile and pull back as the food finishes heating.

"Can I ask or you would rather keep to yourself.?"

"Any."

"Okay then, what happened? Was it your friends or..."

"No , it is...I don't know how to tell you?"

"Why ? Did you do something."

"I just...it's a boy."

I look at my mom from the sides of my eye and I can see her trying not to laugh.

"Mom..."

"Sorry, it's weird for you to well....a boy . I thought you said-"

"I know what I said you don't have to repeat it"

"Did he hurt you ?"

"No , I hurt myself. All I know is I want him back , I don't see myself surviving another month without him . "

"From the way you're describing the way you feel I can sense it's not Cole."

"No it's not . I just can't do this anymore , pretend like he doesn't affect me?"

"You want my advice?"

"No , I think I'm fine . I think I know what to do but thank you."

I go back to eating and my mom hugs me from the back before going to sleep. I will need to think of myself first before doing anything. I really needed the crying, I feel lighter.