11. Mutant Histories

This is probably the most important chapter in the whole book because it explains why everything is how it is. Yes, there are probably mistakes in this also, I will go in and correct them when I have time. Post your comments below and vote if you enjoyed the read! Thanks very much!

~~~~~~~

It's Monday; the sun is bright in the autumn weather, a light chill is making me a bit cold, the afternoon is just turning into evening, and I'm staring at Nyx with a immensely nervous expression. "You're serious? I thought Priestess' were the rulers of each school! I didn't know there was a queen! Why do we have to meet her?!" Hyperventilating, I clutch my flipping stomach and try deep breaths. 

Nyx, who's sitting on his bed across from mine and was doing homework a while ago, is now staring at me with a mirrored horrific expression. "Because we're twins and usually, if a Priestess has two children, the oldest becomes the new Priest or Priestess. We're exactly the same time, maybe a few seconds off. So, the Queen herself has decided to come down and interview us. She'll decide who will become the ruler of this school. Plus, Prilen held off the King and Queen from meeting me because she hadn't found you yet. Now that you're here, it's time to meet her."

I hug my torso because I'm trembling so hard. "I don't know how to act formal!" I exclaim. 

Nyx gets off his bed and kneels in front of me on the floor. "We'll just be ourselves. I don't think they'll be interviewing us privately yet, I think they just want to meet us."

A knock at the door makes me jump and Nyx smiles flatly. "Coming!" he half-yells and pulls me up onto my feet by my shoulders. "Go get the door, I have to piss." 

Not being able to help but smile at his gross, blunt statement, I relax a tiny bit. I open the door to reveal Frankie with a grin on his face. I smile and instantly think of yesterday. We spent the entire day together, even going to the diner to meet everyone. At first they were stunned to see us holding hands but eventually got used to it. Harrison and CJ gave Zane money. We're not officially together but pretty dang close. 

I look down to what he's holding which  are two plastic containers with two different outfits. One is a tuxedo and the other is a big, dark violet colored, formal dress. It's shoulderless and has a sparkly band which looks like it's placed around the waist.

Hearing the toilet flush and the sink turned off, I turn to glare at Nyx. "Are we having dinner with the Queen?" My voice shakes a bit and I gulp air down.

Nyx grimaces, "Yes." 

"Tonight?" 

He nods and my stomach flips and twists a hundred times in a minute. I pull my shoulders back and calm my racing heart with deep breaths as I turn to Frankie. His eyes hold a tensed expression. "Would you please go get Zane?" 

"I'll call her up. Why?" 

"If I'm meeting the Queen-"

"And King." Nyx interjects and I glare at him. "Sorry. Go on." 

"If I'm meeting the Queen and King, then I need to look good. I need help getting ready." 

Nyx starts to mumble before speaking more audibly. "You don't have time. We don't have time; Prilen said we're supposed to meet her outside in fifteen minutes." 

My eyes grow large and my muscles tense. I don't respond to his explanation as I grab the dress and speed into the bathroom, ripping off my clothes in lightning speed and pulling on the dress. With the breast area at my waist, I look at my back in the mirror to notice something strange. A diamond shape that looks similar to a tattoo is rested on my lower back, between my hip muscles. There is not much time, I think to myself. Just ignore it until after the dinner. I nod and slip the perfect fitting dress up and zip up the back. I pull my hair into an elegant bun, brush mascara across my eyes and a nude lipstick across my lips, then put on my usual hightops. I put a piece of necklace I haven't worn in a long time on. It's a locket that shows my aunt from back home. She always helped me get through big days. I smile at my reflection before heading out to Nyx.