CHAPTER 51: ECHOES OF THE PAST

"Forgiveness is a virtue of the strong"- Mahatma Gandhi

•••

ALAINE DAVIES

I smiled, taking in my reflection in the mirror and appreciating the hours of work I'd done on myself. I couldn't recall the last time I looked and felt this good.

Today, I officially turned twenty. I woke up ecstatic, which was a stark contrast to how I felt yesterday. Excitement and eagerness bubbled within me. I wasn't sure why, but I had a feeling today would be an amazing day-and not just because it was my birthday.

From the moment I woke up, I felt an unusual sensitivity to God's presence. I could feel Him surrounding me, which only added to my excitement. After spending time with Him and expressing my gratitude for another year of life, I walked downstairs, ready to begin my day.

I was immediately enveloped by my family, who showered me with birthday wishes and prayers. The twins gave me a bracelet they had woven themselves, with a little help from their mom. The adults hinted that their gift would be revealed tonight. My heart soared with love, and I might have shed a tear or two.

My friends were quick to make me cry even more with their heartwarming texts and calls. They all had places to be during the day but promised to make it in time for the main celebration tonight.

I received countless texts, calls, prayers, and gifts from people-many of whom I barely conversed with but had somehow touched through the women's empowerment program my friends and I organized on campus.

The joy they brought me was boundless. It's true what they say: "Birthdays are special days."

Night had already fallen, which usually meant my birthday was coming to an end, but in my case, it was just beginning. I spent the day with Jocelyn, preparing everything needed for my little get-together. When we were sure everything was perfect, we parted ways to get ready.

I gazed happily at my reflection, content with my entire look. In an attempt to try something new, I bravely straightened my hair. It came out nicely, but I instantly missed my curls. Thank God, it was temporary.

I smoothed out the edges of my dress, bitterly smiling at the memories attached to it. I wasn't sure why I chose this particular outfit, but it felt right. Even the jewelry I wore had a connection to it. Perhaps it had something to do with what I was told yesterday.

Ashley's revelation was fresh in my mind, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop pondering it.

John was back. The thought sent ripples of excitement and relief through me. If he was back, that meant he was fine. I itched to see him, even if only from a distance. I wanted to hear his voice, even if it wasn't directed at me. I longed to see his beautiful grey eyes, even if they weren't gazing at me.

I drove past his house multiple times last night, hoping to catch a glimpse of him. But alas, I came home disappointed.

I was barely holding back from asking Arthur everything. He knew John was back but never said a word. Instead, he invited him to a café and had lunch with him! I couldn't be mad because, as always, I was sure he had his reasons and would tell me when the time was right. I wasn't that patient, though-not in this case. I had already made up my mind to bring it up first thing tomorrow morning.

My fingers gently combed through my hair, and I wondered what John would think if he saw it straightened. It was no secret that he adored my curls.

Would he say they suited me? Or would he absolutely detest them?

Knowing John, the latter seemed nearly impossible. I glanced at the time and swiftly rose to my feet.

Everyone was coming over by eight, and I had only ten minutes left to finish the final preparations. I took one last satisfied look at myself in the mirror before rushing downstairs.