1

Rutaba's chest tightened as she sat in silence, staring at the gleaming attack ball—the very same one that had brought her to Sur'Kesh all those years ago. The cold, metallic surface reflected the moonlight like an empty promise. A vessel to take her away from everything she knew and loved.

"I can't leave you," she finally whispered, her voice raw with emotion. "You can't just send me away. This is my home. You're my family. We've been through everything together—how can I just go?"

Lyra and Zolan exchanged a glance, the weight of their decision heavy in the room. Zolan sighed, rubbing his temples as he looked at her with the deep compassion of a father who knew the truth would hurt. "Rutaba," he began gently, "we didn't want to tell you, not like this. But the truth is, we don't have much time left. Salarians...we don't live long. You've already watched us grow older faster than you. We want to spare you the pain of watching us fade."

"Is that it?" Rutaba shot back, her voice trembling with anger and heartbreak. "You're doing this for me? By taking yourselves away from me? You want me to just leave so I can pretend you're still here? No. No!" She stood, pacing, her fists clenching. "I want to be with you. Even if... even if it means losing you. I'd rather have that than never see you again."

Tears welled up in Lyra's eyes as she tried to hold back the emotion. "Rutaba, please," she said softly, her voice breaking. "This isn't just about loss. You're... you're going to have so much more life to live. We don't want your memory of us to be filled with sadness. We don't want to see you chained here by grief when we're gone."

Rutaba spun on them, her Saiyan ferocity rising. "You're asking me to live with more grief!" she cried. "I'll leave here and always wonder... Did you die alone? Were you scared? Did you need me?!" Her voice cracked, her breaths coming in shallow bursts. "Do you think I'd be happy not knowing what happened to you? I'd lose you either way, and this way, you're asking me to live with the guilt of abandoning you when you still needed me!"

Zolan's lips pressed into a thin line. He didn't want to argue with her. He didn't want this to turn into a battle of wills. But Rutaba's words struck a chord in him, too. "Rutaba," he said, his voice more firm now, "we are not afraid of what's coming. But we are afraid of what this planet will mean for you. You've already lost so much—"

"No!" Rutaba interrupted, eyes blazing. "You don't get to decide for me! Not like this!" She approached them, her hands shaking, her tail thrashing behind her. "I'm not a child anymore. You've trained me, taught me. If you're worried about pain or danger, let me protect you. Let me be with you until the very end, like you've been there for me every single day of my life."

Zolan looked away, his throat tightening. He had no response. He knew she was right, and it made his heart ache.

Lyra stood, her voice trembling but strong. "You deserve... a future, Rutaba," she said quietly. "One with hope. You've spent your entire life surrounded by loss—your planet, your people. We just want you to have the chance to find something better, before this cycle of loss continues."

Rutaba took a deep, shaking breath and stepped closer, her hands outstretched, pleading. "Mama... Papa... you are my family. You always will be. And I love you. Don't ask me to just leave and... and forget everything because you're scared of what happens to me. I've already lost—but I know now I'm strong enough to face it. Please... Let me stay with you."

Silence fell over the room. Lyra's tears streamed down her face, her hands clasped tightly over her mouth. Zolan, eyes clouded, opened and closed his mouth as if searching for something to say.

Finally, Rutaba continued, her voice steady but soft. "I don't want to leave you behind. I'm a Saiyan, yes, but I'm also yours. I belong here with you. You told me once that true strength is not just power—it's wisdom, it's compassion. I learned that from you. Let me show you how strong you've made me. Let me face this with you... and let me say goodbye properly, when it's time."

Lyra's sob broke the silence, and she rushed to Rutaba, embracing her tightly. Zolan followed, his arms wrapping around both of them, his breaths shaky.

"We were wrong," Lyra whispered through her tears. "We thought sending you away would protect you... but it would only hurt us all more."

Zolan nodded, his own tears falling. "You're right, little spark. You deserve to make this choice. We'll face it together, as a family."

They stayed like that for a long time, huddled in each other's arms. The attack ball stood in the corner, no longer a symbol of escape, but a reminder of the path she could choose when the time came. But tonight, Rutaba didn't need to think of that future.

For now, she was home. And she had time—precious time—to live, laugh, and love with the only family she had ever known.