The Promise of Tomorrow (Koi)

Koi

Her dense, long, black hair falls in her face, hiding her eyes from my view. Her skin reminds me of the white carnations Mom loved so much. She mustn't see the sun often. Didn't she says she was from Radiance? I wish I could look at her eyes.

"I do not call myself a free-thinker, My Lord. I am simply a person who is stuck living in a cage because of what I was born into, and I shall die in this cage, for it was not my destiny to be set free into the world."

I lift a finger to move her curtain of hair out of her eyes. She flinches. "Tell me your name. And stop saying my lord. That's something servants say." She has humakat eyes! But she looks so human. Even Juju has a tail.

She pushes her hair behind her ears and lets out a shuddering breath. Why is she so nervous? Because she figured out I'm a son of the king? She doesn't even know I'm the heir to the throne, most don't. "My name is Gabriella, but everyone calls me Gabby."

"Gabriella, that's a pretty name."

I smile.

"Thank you, My . . . thank you." A rosy-pink stains her cheeks. She's beautiful.

"Call me Koi."

She nods. The clock tower bell tolls the hour. Lunch has started. Maybe I can have her stay with me. Karmistic should be here soon with the food. I sent her to wait.

"I must go," she says, as she turns to leave. I grab her wrist.

"Have lunch with me."

"I can't." She pulls her wrist away.

"Then tomorrow. Come here again tomorrow, same time, I want to speak with you some more. Hear your opinions of the world." I've never felt so desperate to be in another's presence in all my life.

She swallows hard. "Okay." She runs for the door and soon goes where I can't see her.

"Nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands," I mutter as I take a seat on the bench. I never understood the end to the poem until now. I shall wait for her promise of tomorrow.

To be continued...

Read Episode Two on Amazon for $0.99 or Free with Prime and Kindle Unlimited http://viewbook.at/G2