Chapter Thirty-Four

On stage, Annalise, the Sugar Plum Fairy paused in an arabesque before sinking into a low curtsey to a rapturous applause. Hardly a flawless performance, but for a sixteen year-old, impressive. Libby longed to kick her off the stage and show them all how it should be done, but that wasn't her job. She ushered the girls off the stage, telling them to shush, while Jane sent on the next batch.

Twenty-two years ago, Libby had been in her first ballet. She'd played a mouse and watched the Sugar Plum Fairy with awe. That was what made her want to be a ballerina. Did she really want to teach Good Toes, Bad Toes to five year-olds? This wasn't how her life was supposed to be. She was supposed to be on stage, executing thirty-two perfect fouett\u00e9s in her role as Odile. She wasn't supposed to be babysitting five year-olds.

And yet she couldn't stop smiling.

The second act flew by all too quickly and soon she sat downstairs, surrounded by the four to six year-olds she'd been coaching, all trying to sit on her knee, play with her hair and find out how brilliant they were.

'You were awesome,' she said to them. 'You all tried really hard and should be super-duper proud of yourselves. Now, get your coats on, quick, quick.'

They really had worked hard and they'd maintained their concentration for a whole ballet, which was more than could be said for a few of the dad's in the audience who'd slept through most of the second act, Robbie included. When the last of the kids had been collected, abandoned ballet slippers and scrunchies tided into a box, Libby quickly changed from her practical backstage clothes into a slinky black top she'd appropriated from Zoe's wardrobe, faux-leather jeans and high heels. With another three layers of eye shadow and two of mascara, she was ready for a night out in Haverton.

'You look fabulous,' Jane said, poking her head around the door. 'Now, come on. They want to lock up.'

After a final squirt of perfume, Libby followed Jane through the empty auditorium, her hand brushing over the seats as she passed them.

'Do you miss it?' Libby asked. 'Performing, I mean.'

'I used to, but it's over thirty years since I last danced on stage.' Jane smiled. 'These days I get a much bigger kick out of watching girls I've taught since they were four performing a lead role with confidence.'

'Annalise was brilliant.'

'You know, we don't always do the Nutcracker. Maybe we'll do Swan Lake next year. You'd make the perfect Odette-Odile.'

'Aren't the students supposed to dance?'

'Technically, you are a student.'

'I'm a bit old.'

'Experienced. Maggie made me perform it when I came here.'

'What was she like? I've heard such a mixture of stories.'

'Maggie was... The girls were all terrified of her, I was too, but I needed the job.' Jane paused. 'This would be thirty years ago. I was married, but my husband... he used to hit me. A lot. Maggie found out. She was a strong woman, Libby. She didn't put up with things like I did. She helped me get out, get help and learn to stand up for myself. The funny thing was that help showed me that Maggie was no different to my husband. Eventually, I stood up to her too. Do you need a lift? My friend, Liz, will be here in a minute.'

'No, I'm going to Oscar's for ludicrous cocktails. It's Xander's birthday. A well-earned Mai Tai is on the cards.'

'Tea and bed for me.'

'I heard Maggie changed as she got older.'

Jane nodded. 'She was devastated when she lost her career.'