Chapter 4:The Proposition

Chance

I waited with the sign in my hands when I saw a patch of blonde hair through the crowd of the Airport.

"Chance!" She exclaimed as she ran up to hug me. "Oh I missed you so much! How have you been?"

"Great! I missed you too." I said as I hugged her back. "How are you?"

"How am I? How are you? I cannot believe your father! The nerve of that man." She huffs.

"He pisses me off but there's nothing we can do." I said. "You know that Aunt Robin."

"I know but that's not right to arrange a marriage. This is the twenty first century!" Aunt Robin exclaimed.

"Let's not think about that right now. Let's go get some lunch." I said and took her bags to the car.

"So why am I here exactly?"  Aunt Robin asked.  "I can't do anything about your father.  Only your mom would be able to convince him but it would come with a price and I know you boys.  You would never wanna hurt your mother."

"I don't need help with Dad.  I need help with a girl.  Well I guess we both do."  She smirked at me but I interrupted her before she speak again.  "Before you say anything, it's a part of the contract.  Chase met a girl named Asha and I met a girl named Laney.  I really like Laney even though I just met her and I think it's the same for Chase and Asha.  The contract states that if we get married before the day of the arranged wedding, we are free to go.  We need your help on how to get these girls."

"Well I don't believe in rushing relationships..."  Aunt Robin drags on, "but I will make an exception for this specific case.  There's one thing I need to know though.  How did you guys meet?"

I smiled thinking of the morning I met Laney.  "Well I met Laney at a late night diner at around three in the morning.  I saw her sitting alone and I thought she was the prettiest girl I had ever seen.  I went over to her and we talked for a while."

She squeals.  "That is so adorable!  How did Chase and Asha meet?  I'm sure it's adorable since Chase was always the sweeter one."

"Hey!"  I exclaimed, mocking hurt.  "I'll have you know I am way sweeter than him.  He met Asha at a grocery store in the toilet paper section."

She looked at me for a moment then busted out laughing.  "A-are y-you serious?"

"Dead serious."  I cracked a smile.

💍💍

Laney

I was laying down on my bed, thinking about life, when my phone buzzed.

Meet me at the diner.

It was from Chance.  I wondered how he got my number when I remembered that I gave it to him the first time I met him.  I quickly stood up and got ready for my meetup with Chance.

💍💍

"Hi."  I smiled at Chance as I sat down in the booth across from him.

"Hey Laney."  He greeted with the same smile.

"So why'd you want to see me?  Did you want to talk about the wedding plans?  Are the others coming?"  I felt a pang in my heart as I brought up the wedding.

"No!  I-I mean I w-wanted to see you for s-something not about the wedding.  I kinda was hoping this would be kinda like a sorta date thing."  I giggled as he stumbled over his words and scratched the back of his neck.  It was actually kind of adorable.

"I would love for this to be a sorta date thing..."  I trailed off, realizing this couldn't be a date.  "But it can't be.  You're engaged."

Chance scowled and took my hand.  "Laney, I am not engaged to that bitch.  My father has arranged for a marriage to happen between us.  That's it, there's a contract that states I'm a free man until the day of the marriage."

I looked at him with wide eyes.  "St-still, it's wrong for us to be on a date when you're getting married in less than six months."

"Laney, please.  If it bothers you that much, don't think of it as a date.  Think of it as two friends having a get-to-know-you-lunch."  I slowly nodded and he grinned.  "Good because I've already ordered for us."

Right on cue, the waiter came with our food.  I looked at Chance and started laughing.

He smiled, "you know, you have the most adorable laugh."

I blush, "shut up."

"You do.  And you have the cutest laugh."  He adds.  I playfully punch him in the shoulder and start eating.  "So tell me about yourself."

"Well, my favorite color is purple.  Like a lavender purple.  Not dark purple, that's too old person-y."  I scrunched my nose.

"Really?  I never would've guessed.  Mine's green.  Like a forest green.  Not neon green, that's too kiddish."  He mimics me and I glare at him.  "What's your favorite food?"

"Hot dogs."   I told him.

"I'm a more of a hamburger person."  He said.

I mocked offense, "well then we simply cannot be acquainted with each other."

He plays along and gets on his knees, "I am so sorry, can you ever forgive me?"

I think for a moment, "perhaps.  If you do me a favor."

"What?"  He asked.

"Pay for lunch and get me a chocolate fudge sundae?"  I said.

He grinned cheekily, "of course.  Anything for you milady."

I smiled, "good, now get off your knees and have lunch with me."

He fake saluted me, "yes ma'am."

"I had a nice time today."  I said as we approached my door.  Chance and I had spent the rest of the day together, wandering around the streets of New York.  It was actually really nice.

"Me too."  He said and we stood their in silence for a moment until he broke it.  "So there's this fair on Saturday and I was wondering if you would like to go with me."

"I'd love too."  I smiled at him.  "Wanna come inside?"

"It would be my pleasure."  He smiled back at me.  I got out my keys and opened the door.  What we saw next was a complete surprise.

"Chase?  Asha?"