Chapter 21

Present

A crisp knock on the door wakes Zandra from her nap slumped against the wall. It takes a minute for her to realize help's finally come.

"I'm here. Open the damn door already," she says.

Zandra breathes deep and slides up the wall to her feet. Her ankle blurts out pain. Too long on the floor. She braces herself against the desk.

"What the hell happened? I was in this room for fucking hours, you twat," Zandra says as the door opens, the unlit cigarette dangling from the corner of her mouth clinging for dear life.

The assistant starts to say something. Zandra cuts her off.

"Just get the hell out of my way," she says. Makes a slow beeline for the exit and lights up. The smoke break brightens her mood enough to go back and apologize to the assistant.

"I'm so sorry, Zandra. Mr. Carey called me away for an errand," the assistant says.

Zandra gets the feeling the assistant's holding back. She doesn't reply right away. Inserts a pause into the conversation. An unconscious cue to get her to keep talking.

"It turned into more than a quick errand," the assistant says.

Zandra logs the response in her memory. Hard to tell if that's the whole story. An innocent mistake? Maybe. Maybe not.

"That's fine. Just let Mr. Carey know I cleansed his office of those spirits," Zandra says. "Lord knows I had enough time to do it."

The assistant apologizes again and shows Zandra to the door, but not before offering something that makes Zandra wave her off in disgust.

"Peppermint?" the assistant says and holds up a crystal dish of hard candy.