Nerves

Valentine's Day. For many it was a day to celebrate their love for others. A day for cheesy dates having nothing to watch on the movie channels but romance films. Sadly, if you didn't have anybody to share the day with, it was merely a day to remind you of how lonely you were. All you wanted was a good action movie, maybe Terminator, something with lots of killing. And what do you get? Romance. The whole day was built around couples, the movie channels could at least do something to make the single people feel better. It was snowing outside, but you weren't a big fan of getting wet.

With a huff you turned off the TV and dropped the remote on the sofa beside you. The past few Valentine's Days you'd tried going on dates, but they'd only ended with the guys trying to get in your pants – underage or no. Now that you'd turned eighteen you were legally allowed to sleep with other men, so you didn't trust anyone you knew to go on a date with you.

Instead you'd taken advantage of the fact that Valentine's Day prompted many stores to put discounts on their chocolates. You'd bought four boxes of [fave chocolates] and initially the plan had been to eat them to a good movie, but there wasn't anything on that wasn't sappy.

You looked up as the doorbell rang. You weren't expecting anybody, and the postman had been and gone. You looked down at yourself, dressed in only your boxers and a baggy vest top, and shrugged. Surely that was fine to answer the door in.

With a sigh you put the box of chocolates from your lap onto the sofa beside you and got to your feet, stretching as you made your way out of the cave you'd made for yourself of your living room and towards the front door. Hesitantly you unlocked it and pulled it open a crack. Seeing no one you opened it a little more so that it still shielded your body and poked your head round it to look outside. There was no one at your door. You huffed in frustration, putting it down to prank doers, before you glanced down as you went to close the door to see a bouquet of [fave flowers] so fresh you could still make out the dew on the petals. Your [e/c] eyes widened in surprise and you looked around once more to double check that there was no one around that might have left them, before you finally bent down to pick them up, looking for some kind of tag that might show who they were from. There was only a plain printed card tag with your name on it. You couldn't get anywhere through a computer font. But the person had drawn on in pen beneath your name a small smiley face and a heart.

Closing the door and locking it again you hugged the flowers to your chest. You'd never been given flowers before. Fantasies of who might have sent them filled your head and you hummed as you took them into the kitchen. You didn't have a vase, but you did have a large beer glass that you rarely used, and it was pretty sturdy. You filled it half way with water and set the flowers inside before thinking where to put them. The best place would be the kitchen windowsill, where they'd get plenty of light. You set them up and smiled at them for a few moments before deciding that perhaps you didn't have to lock yourself away inside all day. Perhaps there was someone that may be made a little happier to see you out and about.

That, and your best friend Hiro had just reemerged from his bedroom, where he'd been working on a project all week. You wouldn't mind the opportunity to see him again, so you decided you'd go to the Lucky Cat Café to have lunch and see him and his Aunt Cass.

It didn't take you long to shower and get dressed, pulling on your coat because it was freezing outside, but as you opened your front door you were made to freeze in your tracks when you saw the young man you had just been thinking about halfway up the path to your house. For a moment Hiro stood there just as frozen, staring at you like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

"Hiro!" You greeted happily. "I was just about to come and see you!" You noticed for the first time that his face was bright red, and your eyes widened as you remembered the cold. "Come on in, you must be freezing!" You told him, backing up to give him space to enter. For a moment he remained still, before he seemed to shake himself out of it and followed you back inside, standing awkwardly in the hallway as you locked the door and removed your coat. "Can I get you anything?"

"Uh ... no, thank you." Hiro managed, finding his voice at last. "I, uh ... I just came round because ... I wanted to give you this..." You turned to him as he held out [video game you want] and you gasped.

"Hiro!" You said, flinging your arms around him in a tight hug. "Thank you so much! None of the stores I visited had it, and it was out of stock online." You pulled away and he handed it to you, seeming a little dazed, and you gave him a dashing smile. "Do you want to play it with me?"

Hiro's eyes widened as if he hadn't expected you to ask, but after a moment he nodded, grinning.

"Yeah, okay."

You went through to your living room to set up the game console as the eighteen-year-old shed his coat and boots out in the hallway, putting them away in the place you had designated for him due to how often he came over.

"I thought you were working today." You called to him as you put the game disc in, setting up the controllers.

"Aunt Cass was blackmailing me into doing something and she decided today was the day she wanted me to do it." Hiro replied as he joined you on the sofa, crossing his legs. "So basically I've got the day off." It was getting colder and you didn't have the most reliable heating system, so you took the big blanket you kept on the arm of the sofa and pulled it over the both of you.

"Have you done the thing for Aunt Cass then?" You asked as the game loaded. The installing bar came up on the screen and you bit back a huff of frustration.

"I will. I just need to tell someone something." He told you, arranging the blanket around him so that it was more comfortable.

"Doesn't sound like the kind of thing she'd need to blackmail you about." You commented, and he just shrugged. You exchanged more small talk as you waited for the game to install before it finally came up on the game menu.

The rest of the afternoon was spent playing video games, with only a short break for lunch. Hiro's a good gamer with a lot of practice, and you struggle at first. But you're proud that by the end of the afternoon it's not as easy for him to hold his own against you as it was when you started out.

"Do you want to stay for dinner?" You asked him as darkness fell, getting to your feet and smoothing down the back of your jeans where they had become creased. "I was going to have take-out, but I can cook something if you'd prefer."

"Ah, no, it's fine." Hiro assured you, getting to his feet. Suddenly he seemed to be feeling awkward again, something you didn't really understand considering how often he came round. "I should get back to the café before Aunt Cass starts worrying."

"Are you sure?" You asked him, trying not to sound too disappointed. It was nice spending time with Hiro, even if it was just as friends. He had made Valentine's Day a little less lonely for you. You were sorry to see him leave so soon. "Although I guess you have got to run that errand for her before you get there. Not even a snack for the road?"

Hiro seemed unsure for a few moments, looking like he was having a mental debate with himself, before he finally spoke up.

"I left you the flowers." He blurted finally, and your eyes widened in surprise. "I was going to give them to you in person but I lost my nerve and..." He swallowed nervously, fingers linked and fiddling with nerves. "I don't think I could even have given you the game in person if you hadn't caught me. It's just, I really ... I love y-" Your excitement and joy had been building the whole time he had been speaking, and you couldn't even wait for him to finish speaking the words you had waited for so long to hear. You threw your arms around his neck and pressed your lips against his in a kiss that sent sparks through your body. He was stiff for a few moments but after that he gently kissed you back, wrapping his arms around your waist to hold you a little closer. When you pulled away both of your faces were bright red, and both of you were breathless.

"Sorry." You told him a little awkwardly. "I just ... really love you, too. Is that what Aunt Cass wanted you to say?"

He smiled widely at you, blush deepening a little.

"Yeah, she found out and she threatened to take 'drastic action' if I didn't tell you." He admitted. The both of you were content for now just standing in the hallway holding each other, your foreheads gently pressed together.

"So will you stay for dinner now?" You asked him hopefully, and you saw a large smile grace his features. No more words needed to be said, as he pulled you in again for another kiss.