A Saviour. A Hero.

"Happy birthday!!!"

Groaning and shaking my head, my eyes delayed to open as I heard the girls squeal in my ears. The night before I was remembering how my life flashed by in just a click of the fingers. Looking up at the stars and the great, stunning Moon, I thought of memories where I had a freedom from being scared, from being held back, from avoiding minor things. But now there's limitations. And my birthday has many of them.

"Happy 18th birthday, Jazz!!!"
When my eyelids finally opened up, Pheobe and Blair were both holding a plate of purple-iced cupcakes towered up, with the top-most stabbed with a lighted candle.
"When did you make those? I didn't hear you last night."
"But you didn't hear us in the morning, did you?" Phoebe's broad smile reminded me of the times we spent at the park when it was my birthday in the early days, when the rows and shouting got the better of me. Us three would sit on our bench by the river and talk about school, Phoebe's new list of crushes, Blair's fight with a stuck-up girl and my list of dream presents we would never afford or I would never get.

"Can't believe we're finally eighteen! Living our lives in our own flat, doing things without rules or...Or getting shouted at. Doesn't it feel so...Different?" Blair was staring out the bright window now, clutching her necklace. You could tell when she starts thinking emotionally because she stutters and thinks so quietly.

I got out of my sweaty bed, out into the fresh air. The sky was clear and the breeze was so sweet with floral smells. We all danced around with the radio before breakfast. Happiness was in every corner and edge of us.
"Mmmm! The cakes taste nice! Thanks, guys!"
"No problem. We know how you like your food and stuff."

Watching films and joking around made time go by, replacing forgotten times with the new ones. Sunset came soon after and with the Sun, the mini party died down aswell.
"Geez," Blair stretched out her arms while yawning, "What a day, Jazz! You still got a night ahead of you to celebrate your birthday alone. But for now, I'm gone. See you tomorrow, Sis."
"You too. Plus, I am not alone tonight. He's out in full force."

I always reffered the Moon as a person, because it was a part of my life now. Saviour, hero, I call him many things that he had been to me. But every night he was out, or in every night in general, I couldn't sleep. Not just that I slept through the day, but that my power, my necklace, was to be awake.

I gazed at the stars like dreamers do. I wished upon a star like lovers do. I talked to the Moon like prisoners do when all they have in their cell is the barred window and the squeaking rat.
The open, wide sky always made me happy. It made me feel like I owned it, though I think I sound selfish to say this.

"The Moon, the stars and the Sun,
Join together as one.
Love, hope and sencirity,
Makes the days of our lives.
Be the right that you are,
Dream and then you'll go far.
High up in the sky,
Let your wings fly.
Let your wings....fly."

Mother's lullaby drifted through the long night, reminding me of the scary nights. She'd pat my head and sing, while I stared and dreamed out the window. It was beautiful.
As I sang it, my necklace started to glow. It started to float of my chest but was restricted by the chain. I could feel the rush of something cold go up my arms and legs, leading to my heart. The whole process reminded me of...Of... Emily's wedding.

When she came down the aisle...
When she looked back and gave me the reassuring smile...
When the room started to shake and flames made happiness to a ruin...
This couldn't happen now, could it? I went up to the mirror but then the Moon necklace stopped floating. I felt something change in me, and I was right. My eye colour. It was light blue.
I fell back, shocked at what this can do. I was used to looking through my chocolate brown eyes. But now, when I looked again, they changed. Brown.

Creeping up to the window, I asked Emily how this life of mine changed the way I see it. There was no reply but I was used to that by now. I imagined my own reply.
Wonderful, Jasmine. Carry on seeing the life you are now, and be the person you know.

But I don't really know who I am. Or who I'm supposed to be.
I guess I would just follow what the Moon was to me. I would treat my friends and followers how the Moon treated me.
A Saviour. A Hero.