Chapter 3: Uh-oh

Peter

As I lay in bed trying to sleep, all I can think about is the war back home. Every time I shut my eyes I picture our home gone along with Mum. What if the same thing happens to us as it did to Eleanor? What if Mum has already received information that Dad is gone?

I flip over onto my left side and tug the covers up higher, but that doesn't help me get comfortable either. I let out a huge sigh as I flip over onto my right side again and try to relax my muscles. I close my eyes again except this time I see Eleanor.

She is running away from something. She's being chased. I can't tell what it is but when I look to my sides Lucy and Susan are next to me but Edmund isn't anywhere to be found. I look at Eleanor and I notice there is a gate and it's closing down. I start to run forward. She isn't going to make it. I am almost there but the draw bridge in front of us lifts up and I can no longer see her. She could not have made it.

I wake up then and shoot straight up breathing heavy and sweaty.

"Could you quite your mumbling?" Edmund asks from across the room, "I'm trying to sleep."

I don't reply but get up and go to our bathroom to splash some cold water onto my face and try to shake off the nightmares. It was weird that I dreamed about Eleanor. As I lean against the sink, I feel extremely parched so I make my way to the kitchen.

When I get there, I hear someone else digging around in the kitchen. At first I think it's probably a mouse or some small creature, but then it starts talking.

"Whose there?" The voice asks scared.

"Just me," I reply in the dark. I turn on the light and Eleanor relaxes at seeing my face. She is sitting on the counter top with a glass of water in her hands and it looks almost empty.

"Oh, Peter, you scared me. I was afraid you were The Macready," Eleanor admits.

"No, just me," I say opening the cupboards in search for a cup.

"What are you doing down here?" She asks not in an accusing way but more curious as she swings her dangling legs back and forth.

"Got really thirsty," I tell finding a cup and walking over to the faucet.

"Bad dream?" She guesses.

"How'd you know?" I question back leaning on the island directly across from Eleanor. We're so close our legs are almost touching.

"Because I kinda had one too," she says and takes a big gulp of water. It's quiet between us for a while until she finally says, "It doesn't seem to be getting better. I mean, I've always had nightmares even when I was little but they just seem to have gotten more worse recently."

I don't have to ask why but I continue the conversation anyway. "What did you used to dream about before..."

"Dad and Mum?" She finishes for me not offended but informative, "um, believe it or not prison, scary witches, bad wolves."

"Interesting fears," I comment with a slight laugh.

"Yeah, make fun, but those dreams...I don't know they've always seemed real to me. I know all of it is impossible, but I'm terrified of what's out there," she explains with a sad look.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset," I apologise quickly.

"It's fine," she assures me, "nothing to fuss over just old dreams."

"What are your dreams now?" I ask her. She looks at me intensely and almost embarrassed but doesn't say anything. "What?" I say.

"Oh, it's nothing," she covers up and jumps down from her spot on the counter, "I should probably get back upstairs and into bed. I wouldn't want to get caught down here by The Macready."