Keeping Busy

Fantastic 5: The Rise of the Silver Surfer | The Storm Ignites | Keeping Busy

The next day, June and Reed were in the invention room of the Baxter building apartment. After the disaster their apartment building was left in two years ago, they took that time to redecorate and make the place the home of the Fantastic Five. Reed was currently sitting at his desk, fiddling with his tablet phone - his fingers going a mile a minute as he typed. June on the other hand, sat over to the side by her desk connected to her brothers - she was bouncing between browsing through the internet on her laptop to hear about these odd occurrences and coming up with ideas to maximize their current inventions.

Sue walked into the room, the sliding glass doors giving her entrance, "Hey, honey." She said to her fiancé first, but turned to June when she saw her over to the side, "Hey, June." Sue wore all black, her make-up to a minimum and her hair was nicely tied back ready for her appointment this afternoon.

June looked up from her work, pencil in between her lips from concentration. "Hey, Susie." She smiled, thankful for the 'best friend distraction'. For hours she's been trying to come up with some kind of explanations and equations for what's been happening in the world. Ever since she saw it on the television screen at the airport, it hasn't been able to leave her mind. "What's up?" She wondered, seeing a pile of papers in her best friend's arms.

Sue held up one of the folders on top; she was the one to keep the paperwork for everything up to date - June helped too but she was the one out of two science-wizzes in their superhero family. "The city's charging us for three squad cars they're saying we destroyed last week."

June took the hairband off her wrist before tying her long curly hair up into a simple bun, she sighed in relief when a small breeze connected with the back of her neck. She suddenly frowned, "Huh?" She took the pencil out of her mouth, placing it between her notebooks and laptop. "Three squad cars? Wasn't it, I don't know, two?"

Sue nodded, looking thankful that someone agreed with her on their situation. "That's exactly what I thought!"

"Reed, wasn't it two squad cars?" June turned to her brother in question, her chair swinging over to his direction slightly. "I remember you had thrown one, and Johnny had literally blown the other up - was there anymore?"

Reed nodded, not completely listening, "Mm hm." His focus was still on the machine in his hands.

Sue's shoulders slumped, not liking the lack of attention he was giving to them - especially her, "Reed?" Her lips were beginning to turn downwards. She got nothing in return, he was still content with looking at that phone of his. She narrowed her eyes to the pesky device, using her powers to make it invisible. And indeed it did - Reed had to blink to make sure he wasn't seeing things.

"All right," Reed let out a chuckle, seeing he was beaten. He turned towards the girls, "I'm putting it away." He insisted, placing the invisible device on the table - away from him, so that he couldn't try to touch it. "You were saying?"

June chuckled at the look on his face, he was begging to be forgiven - it's something Johnny had used himself from time and again. "Next time I see you on that machine, brother - I might just accidentally freeze it in a block of ice."

Reed's eyes widened in horror as he turned to her sharply, "No!" He gasped, looking petrified at the notion. That was a severe 'sister threat'.

She gave a very dramatic nod, "Oh, yeah." She picked up her pencil again, "It's my sworn duty as a younger sister to make sure you pay attention."

Sue laughed at the look on his face, "Alight, that's enough." She sent a small smile of thanks to June. The brunette just gave a wink before looking down at her notes again, going back into her genius phase. Susan turned back to Reed, moving closer to him, "So, I have a fitting in half an hour and then the musician after that." She sighed, looking exhausted already. A sudden thought popped up in mind, "I haven't even picked out the place settings or the flowers yet." She looked up in desperation. "There's just too much to do." This was their fourth attempt at a wedding, and they still weren't nearly as ready as they were before.