Chapter 3: The Indominus Paddock

Amari's POV

Owen and I slowly get out of the SUV, slamming the doors and walking towards the door to the command center of the paddock.  "We've been booking tickets for months for this new asset.  Apparently, a lot of people are thrilled to see this new asset's unveiling."  "I'm anxious to get to know this new asset."  Owen says, winking at me.  I roll my eyes and sigh in frustration.  Does he always act like this?  If so, now I see why he and Claire never had any more than one date.    "We need a new asset every few years, just to have people be interested in the Park again."  Claire says, and I glance up to see her standing on top of the stairs that Owen and I were about to go up.  "We were hoping that genetic modification would excite people, you know?  Make them realize that these few dinosaurs can be changed, that there can be more to this park."  Owen glares at me, and his gaze is like twin lasers.  "Well, if you want more assets, maybe you should keep the ones that you already have."  My brow furrows, and I don't know exactly what he's talking about.   Claire whispers something in my ear, quiet enough that Owen can't hear.  "We are going to have to take away his raptors for safety purposes.  And he...isn't too happy about that fact."  I pull away, suddenly realizing why Owen and Claire are being so hostile.  I could understand if my animals were taken away. "Safety reasons?"  I whispered back, and she took a deep breath.  "It's a long story, but it is for the good of the park and it's workers."  I shake my head, wondering how she could ever come to that conclusion. "The Indominus Rex makes us relative again."   Claire says as we begin to climb the stairs.  "The Indominus Rex?"  Owen asks with a chuckle, looking up at Claire and I as we reach the top of the stairs,  "We needed something scary and easy to pronounce."  Claire said, reaching the top of the stairs before turning around and saying "You should try to hear a four year old try to say Archyonethormymus."  Owen looks at her, his eyes wide as he says "You should hear you try to say it."  I start to step up to the top platform, but my high heels slip, causing me to fall backwards down the metal stairs.  I scream, my clipboard going up in the air and my arms twirling as I fall backwards.  But before I can make it too far, I'm caught by strong arms, and I feel leather against my back, and I turn my head to thank whoever just caught me before I remember that there was only one other person behind me.  One Owen Grady smiles down at me, and I stand up quickly, getting out of his embrace and grabbing my clipboard off of the floor and rushing The remaining way up the stairs. I slip through the thick metal door, seeing that Claire is already standing next to the thick glass wall.  The room is mostly sterile metal, with one corner that has computer monitors and a desk with an IT man that is  supposed to be doing his job.  My IPad beeps, and I glance down to see the notification that flashes across the bottom of the screen.  I don't usually get notifications unless it's an emergency.  The notifications reads 'Engineer Amari: Northern wires cut.  Lost power in the west side of resort.  Suspecting sabotage.  Need help immediately.'  I sigh, glancing up towards Owen and Claire who, by the look of it, have already been talking for a few moments.  More sabotage.  Whoever is doing this must be good at what they do.  And crazy as heck to get that close to the generators. "The base genome is a T-Rex, the rest is...uh, classified."  Claire says, tapping a few buttons of the small computer screen in front of the glass wall.  "You went out and made a new dinosaur and you don't even know what it is?"  Owen asked, looking out to the forested paddock, where the palms swayed as if something had just brushed them aside.  I shuddered, remembering the monster that we had created.  "The lab sends us finished assets, and we show them to the public.  Can we drop a steer, please?"  Claire asks, and I glance over to the IT man, waiting for him to do his job properly.  But he's too busy stuffing donuts into his mouth to hear what Claire said.  Claire glares at him over her shoulder, but I just sigh, walking up to him, my heels clacking on the floor as I grab his chair, flinging it and making him roll halfway across the room before bending over and typing in the commands myself.  Owen glances back at me and grins, clearly liking my spunk.  Oh, great.  The last thing that I need is that guy noticing me.  Even though he is kind of cute...oh, there I go again.  "How long has the animal been in here?"  Owen asks, and I respond from my position by the computers, the IT man still sitting in the middle of the room from where he was thrown.  "All of its life.  We can't exactly release this assets with other dinosaurs, it's much too dangerous."  I reply, and Owen glances over at Claire.  "So it's never seen anything outside of these four walls, and you feed it with that?"  He asks, pointing to a crane that is currently delivering a huge slab of meat into the paddock.  "Is something wrong?"  Claire asks in frustration, typing a few more buttons on the keypad in front of her.  "Animals raised in isolation aren't always the most functional."  Owen replied, staring at the giant crack in one side of the glass wall.  I shiver, remembering when that crack was made.  We nearly lost about two men, and one of us nearly lost our arm.  I instinctively rub my good hand over my left arm, feeling the scars that are the reason I wear long sleeves.  "Your raptors are raised in captivity."  Claire states, turning towards me.  Before Owen can respond, I say "They're siblings.  They're not in complete isolation, they have each other.  This animal has never even seen a human being before, let alone one of its own kind."  Claire sighs.  "Thanks, Amari.  I was trying to prove a point to MR.  Grady."  Claire says, clearly not happy with me standing up for Owen like I did. What?  She's wrong, but she never likes to admit that. I just smile back sweetly and say "You're welcome, Claire."  Claire rolled her eyes, turning back towards the glass wall.  She leaned in, tapping on the glass gently, muttering "Where is it?  It never misses it's meals."  I glance over at the paddock, seeing that the crane with the food was still sitting there, not even touched.  "Is it in the basement?  Is there a second floor?  Maybe it's in the rec room."  Owen jokes, and I giggle slightly before straightening up and saying "This isn't a joke, Mr. Grady.  We were just here, and the dinosaur was here."  I press a few buttons, activating a thermal scan capability.  I hear a beep, and look behind me at the computer screens lining this wall.  Claire looks over as well, and she gasps as she sees the 'No Thermal Signatures Detected' flashing across the computer screen.  She looks over at me, and I shake my head.  "It's not in there."  "That's impossible!  You designed this paddock.  There's no way it could have gotten out."   I press a few more buttons, trying to check.  "There isn't anything wrong with the sensors or the monitors.  She isn't there."  I try to re calibrate the sensors as Owen walks over to the opposite wall from me muttering "Oh, Shoot."

A/N 

Annndddd....yet another chapter!  Hope you guys like it, cause it sure is fun to write.  Another character is going to be introduced soon, and I hope that you're ready for some running scenes in the next chapter.  And yes, I named the Indominus Rex Resident Evil because Snowflake just didn't sound right.  :P  And I hoped that I spelled that weird dinosaur name Archeao.....archea....aw, heck, even I can't say it.  Anyway, be sure to comment and let me know what you think!  Love ya'll!  :D