My Well Wisher

Prologue

She watched with curious eyes from the other end of the kitchen counter, as the spatula moved with grace in the bowl. As the fingers jeweled with wrinkles added pieces of chocolate in the bowl and handed her a piece too, she let out an excited squeal and devoured it with a smile brighter than the afternoon sun that was peeking through the kitchen window. But a piece of chocolate was not enough to keep this five year old girl busy and soon her small hands reached for the rings resting on the counter top, that her grandmother had taken off before starting to bake. The rings did not fit in her little fingers and soon she got bored of them and started taping them on the counter while swinging her legs back and forth, when her grandmother looked up from the bowl and shook her head. An action that made her put the rings away with pursed lips.

"Would you like to hear a story, Fleur?" The old woman smiled as her granddaughter nodded her head eagerly. She poured the cake mixture from the bowl into the baking dish and placed it in the oven, closing its door she wiped her hands on the kitchen towel and came and sat on the chair next to her granddaughter, "When the sons of heaven saw the daughters of the earth for the first time, they were mesmerized. For never before, they had seen something so fragile but at the same moment, such strong yet tamed souls. Though they knew they must leave them be, they could not. It was not long until they took them as their wives. Moreover, they taught them all that they knew, they taught them the power of enchanted words; they taught them about the herbs that could heal even the most awful wounds; and they taught them about each realm, heaven, earth, hell and the ones that lingered between these three."

"However, knowledge is a power that either can do us good or could turn even a merry soul into a demon. When knowledge such as this came in the hands of the wrong souls, the earth was shadowed by the clouds of chaos. Seeing the mayhem that had fallen upon the earth, the Lord decided to destroy what he had once created, by drowning it in the great flood."

"When the sons of the heaven came to know of this, they went to the Lord. They asked him to give their children (born from the daughters of the earth) a place in the Ark, the boat crafted by Noah that could survive the flood. The lord refused, saying it was because of their mistakes that he had to bring the flood in the first place. That had they listened to him before and had not gone after the daughters of the earth, this chaos would not have had began. Then, the sons of the heaven offered him a deal. If he were to allow their children on the Ark, then those children and every following generation of those children would devote their life to protect the humans from the evil that might distort them; all the while staying in the shadows so that the humans would never know of their existence; and such chaos would never again take place. Not only that, they also offered to never again, mix with the humankind.

The Lord accepted this offer, hid the offspring that came from the sons of the heaven and daughters of the earth, among the chattels riding on the Ark, and made sure that Noah and his family never came to know of it.

However, while the Lord hid those offspring, and the sons of the heaven took a breath relief, there was someone hidden in the shadow, watching it all with a fire that had started to take place in his heart. Lucifer was enraged; as when he had asked the lord to give his children (those came from the daughters of the earth) a place in the Ark, he was refused.

That day, Lucifer swore, not only would he make sure that the offspring of the sons of the heaven and daughters of the earth would suffer till their last breath, but the humans would suffer too so that the Lord would know the pain Lucifer felt when he lost his children to the flood. That day he started a war between the realms that took lives of many, and is told would go on until the end of the earth comes.

It is said that to this date, the generations of those offspring are walking among us, hidden in the shadows and are protecting us from the war and the evil trying to wrap around us; so that we could be the strong and tamed souls we once were."

"So, is one of those offspring looking out for me too?" The girl asked with amazement dancing across her features.

"Who knows flower, maybe you are that offspring." The grandmother chuckled when the little girls'eyes went eyed almost comically. Just then the oven's alarm signaled that the cake is ready and just like that the girls'mind went from the heaven and earth to getting a bigger piece of her grandma's famous chocolate cake.