Chapter 3- Engraved coins

Laureen's birthday was today.

Two years ago, she had run from her crime scene and found Malachi here in the woods. She hadn't intended to stay there for so long, but the weeks melted into months and she still wasn't comfortable enough to go back. Living with Malachi was pleasant and simple, like living on a peaceful mountain home. Along with the isolation from other teens came a certain content way of living, with no need for her pride or regular stress. It seemed everything she had deemed so important before had lost it's value, and along with it, Laureen's care.

Up in a tree near the house, she sat with her legs on either side of the branch. She used to not be able to get up that high, but two years of pulling her weight up on the elevator, lifting metal, and handling tools had greatly improved her strength. Especially the metal press Malachi owned, with how much force had to be applied to it, and how heavy literal containers of metal could be. However...Malachi's metals were more dangerous than she had the caution for. She looked down at her gray hands and arms, and shoe-less grey feet. Cadmium poisoning.

Her incident four months ago with some metals Malachi had brought home left her skin and the wights of her eyes gray, even when Malachi stole medical treatment for her, she had been left permanently grayed. She doubted her mother would even recognize her now- her hair grew to her hips and was messy and uncared for, with snarls and knots that went unnoticed. She was skinnier, having eaten less ever since her murder incident, and Malachi could only afford two meals a day for each of them. So they ate once between breakfast and lunch time, then ate dinner later on that night.

Laureen swung her feet absentmindedly, looking down at her clothes. Knee-length purple shorts and a plain blue, short-sleeved t-shirt. Malachi got these clothes for her a month ago, but she kept growing out of the shoes that Malachi bought her, so she eventually stopped wearing them so he wouldn't have to buy her any more. As she watched her feet swing, she thought about everything that happened to the people around her after she left school. Of course, the police found her fingerprints at the murder scene and contacted Laureen's mother about it. After that, her mother texted and called her non-stop, asking her why she did it, then demanding to talk about it.

After a while, she started begging Laureen to turn herself in, or come talk to her before hand. Laureen never replied to her in those cases. Her mother was away at work most of her life; she couldn't be blamed for not having a real connection to her, even if she texted her a lot in the past. She barely even glanced at her phone any more besides the occasional bored moment; she enjoyed the woods and the plants in it, the trees, and the cool breeze she felt when she climbed them. Before then, she had never been as in touch with nature as she was now, and ended up looking forward to the warmth of the sun and the shapes clouds made.

When she wasn't outside, she was working with Malachi on stamps. She wasn't allowed to do the coating for them anymore, after she was poisoned, so she'd been doing more engraving lately. Right now, she was just relaxing, feeling the cool breeze blow her hair to the side, and the leaves on the trees rustling. She saw a rabbit a little ways away, and could almost hear it scream. She killed rabbits with Malachi for food, occasionally, and their screams were no less then terrifying, even for an animal. Not only that, but the cooking process for those things took so much effort.

She thought about her mother, how worried she must be, but Laureen had taken pity on her a few times in the past and texted her back, letting her know she was alive, telling her she wouldn't be coming home for a long time, and responding to the 'Happy Birthday' message a year ago. Her mother still barely ever came home, because of her work, but said she'd take time off for Laureen. 'For my court case.' Laureen had thought, knowing her mother honored justice and the law. She knew her mother would turn her in, later telling her it was for the best.