Chapter Twenty Five

The cool cloth feels good against my aching face. I sigh in appreciation before I remember why my face hurts. Oh God, oh God, oh God...

"Shh, it's okay, Mattie. I'm right here, honey."

Mrs. O? I try to move, and pain vibrates throughout my entire body. I then suck in a breath to keep from screaming at the agony that tears through my hands.

"Be still, Mattie," she fusses. "I'm trying to clean you up, honey." Another swipe of the wet cloth goes over my face directly under the blindfold.

"Mrs. O?" I shake my head, trying to clear the last of the fuzziness from my mind. "What..."

"I tried so hard to keep you safe, but you just wouldn't listen to me," she interrupts me. "If you'd only left it alone, Mattie, you wouldn't be here. He's wanted you in this chair from the moment he saw you and I protected you. Why couldn't you leave it be?"

It takes a minute for me to sort through what she's just said, but when I do, my mouth drops open. Mrs. O knew about Mr. Olson? They were in it together? The headache from earlier bursts behind my eyes with a vengeance as I try to understand that the person I have grown to depend on is one of the reasons I'm in this chair, broken and bleeding.

"Why?" I ask her, barely able to force the words out of my swollen lips. "I thought you cared about me." She betrayed me just like everyone else I've ever cared about. "You were supposed to take care of me."

She slaps me hard. "I have taken care of you! All I've done since you walked in my door is take care of you. I made sure you were fed, had clean clothes, a hot meal, and that you had a decent place to sleep every night. I sat with you in the hospital praying you were okay. I care, Mattie, about all my kids. Don't you dare accuse me of not caring about you! I've worked hard to protect you, but even I can't stop it now. It's too late."

I feel a pinprick in my upper arm and then a rush of fluid. What did she give me?

"You'll feel better in a few minutes, honey. It'll help with the pain. Don't tell him I gave it to you. He likes you alert, but I can't let you suffer like the rest. I won't."

If I could open my eyes, I know the room would be spinning. I feel dizzy. The pain is dulling already. Whatever she gave me works fast, but I'm sleepy. I can't pass out, not yet, not until I talk to her.

"Please, Mrs. O, I'm sorry. I promise I'll be good. Please, please just get me out of here." I can hear the tears in my voice. "I'll do whatever you want me to, just please don't leave me here."

She sighs and when she speaks, there are tears in her own voice and my heart sinks. "I can't, Mattie. If I let you go now, then you'll go straight to that police officer you are friends with. I can't let you hurt him. He means everything to me. I'm sorry."

Her warmth fades and I know she's stepped away from me. Desperation claws at me. "Please, Mrs. Olson! Please don't leave me here!"

"I'm sorry. I have to go now, Mattie."

After the door opens and closes, I give into a fit of tears. I'm going to die down here. The soft scurrying of tiny little feet catches my attention again. Rats.  They must smell the blood. I don't know if Mary is on the ground or if she's even alive anymore, but the thought of the vermin munching on her makes me shudder.

The slightest movement of my fingers brings about another round of agony. I breathe in and out slowly to get through the pain. The injection Mrs. O. gave me is helping, but it still hurts like the devil. What am I going to do? All the hopelessness I'd felt earlier swamps me again. No one knows where I am. The Olsons will say they came home to find me missing and that I'd run away. I let out a bitter laugh. I have a track record of running away so it won't be a stretch to believe it. I'd even called Dan to say we shouldn't see each other anymore, like I was saying good-bye.