Chapter 2

Kathryn's mother, Jeanine Matthews has been gone for a few hours now. Kathryn continued her experiment as she had done countless times before, pouring the thick urine coloured mixture into an empty 10cm test tube. Her gloved hand steadily set the ¾ full glass tube down on a sterile rack, making a satisfying clink. She leaned down, so that her eyes were in line with the base of the tube and she wiggled her transparent safety goggles until they were perfectly even. Staring at the liquid in the tube, she measured the volume seemingly by eye. She tapped the side of the goggles, her right eyepiece glowed red and a two faint, converging lasers scanned the tube up and down twice. As an Erudite, Kathryn was as thorough as required, utilising technology to get the exact measurement. Fortunately, her judgement was perfect and she could proceed as expected. The two thin lasers that once protruded from her eyepiece dissipated into nothing again.

Each Erudite in the lab had their own personal open plan office-like workspace, each workspace was plain white, sterile, with skylights above that could open in the rare case of gas a leak. Kathryn's workspace consisted of an ice white tabletop, made of a special, hardened polycarbonate that allowed her tabletop to also perform as an touch-screen monitor. The special table allowed Kathryn and other Erudite researchers to input data and control certain features of the advanced workspace.

Kathryn placed both hands flat on the table as if activating something. Within a second, blue digital text appeared reading 'Welcome back, Kathryn.' Every Erudite's tabletop had multiple functions. It was also a digital tablet to provide live, onscreen data and could dispense tools when requested.

Kathryn tapped a few small icons on the touchscreen. On the left side, a test tube sized hole opened, delivering a test tube to the surface. On the right side, a significantly larger rectangular trapdoor slid open, launching an adequately sized clamp stand to the table surface. Kathryn picked up the stand and placed it onto the table center, sealing the equipment dispensers back up in the process, making the surface whole and flat once again. Erudite researchers found it a lot safer and more efficient to have tools and equipment stored in a vault deep underground. The equipment such as containers, chemicals and other technologies could be shot up from the vault and delivered straight to the workstation.

Kathryn proceeded with the experiment, with the stand in place, she took the test tube containing another substance and screwed it in place so it was held in the air by the clamp tightly. So far, she had two different substances in two test tubes, unbeknownst to most Erudites, the experiment's true purpose was to create a powerful serum, capable of breaking the resistance of one's mind, and increase compliance. The serum had the potential to gain unquestioning loyalty, and would cause even the most resilient man to follow orders without hesitation. Unfortunately, the dosage levels of the serum were unexplored territory, and it was Kathryn and the other researcher's jobs to mix the serum with the right chemicals in order for it to be stabilized and safe for mass production.

At this stage, Kathryn glanced at the clamped test tube, this one was a clear liquid compared to the other viscous, yellow, dangerous looking substance on the rack.

Kathryn stared down the test tube on the rack, before continuing. As she reached for that very test tube, which undoubtedly contained the unstable serum, she was stopped in her tracks, in fact, everyone was.

The deafening sound of a glass test tube smashing was heard next to Kathyrn. The boy across from her was seen covered in the icky yellow serum, with glass shattered all over his workspace. Two experienced Erudite supervisors, grey of hair, rushed to him, and lead him away quickly. This was the third time today someone had failed to contain the unstable serum during the mixing process, often covering the researchers in the hazardous chemical. Luckily, they all wore protective clothing and knew the procedures, especially Kathryn, being top of the class in initiation and being fasttracked by her mother, Jeanine. Being a critical thinker, Kathryn couldn't help but question why her mother specifically chose her to be put in serum research. Kathryn, knowing most of the chemicals involved, presumed it was a kind of neurotoxin, or a mind-altering drug. Jeanine would refuse to tell her, stating that it was only 'to solidify order and civility, when the need arises'. This wasn't the first time Kathryn doubted her mother, but knew it wasn't her place to question the ethics of her faction.