Chapter 7: Broken, and Not Just Physically

"Mom, please just tell me. I need to be prepared for when I go to see him," I said as I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

She sighed. "Okay honey," Mom finally responded, "But I just want you to know it's not as bad as your probably thinking."

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"Baby, I know you, I know you've probably jumped to the worst possible scenario by now," She said, looking at me knowingly.

"Okay just get on with it!" I said. I couldn't take it anymore.

"Well, I know Nurse Loraine briefed you on the accident, but I'll explain the full story that the police shared with me. The police reviewed the footage of the studio's back lot security camera. In the video, it shows you and Peyton standing together in the parking lot. Because you were facing him, you didn't see the car speeding around the tight corner to the left of the both of you, but Peyton did. Since he was holding you, he maneuvered you around and pushed out of the way behind him and closer to the building..." Mom stopped because she began to get choked up, as did I, "But...if it weren't for Peyton," Mom let out a sob, "The police said the car would have hit you straight on and... you most likely wouldn't have made it," my mother said as she started to cry. I pulled her into a hug, "But I'm here Mom, and everything is going to be okay," I whispered into her hair. "Now, would you mind telling me what happened next?" I asked, trying to be patient. Part of me was screaming that it didn't want to hear what happened to Peyton, while in my heart, I knew I needed to know.

"Yes, of course, I'm sorry Angelina," She said laughing and giving me a half smile.

"When Peyton threw you out of the way, it was too late to fully remove himself from the path of the car. He tried to run out of the way, toward where you were laying on the ground, but the right side of the nose of car made contact with him causing him to roll over the roof of the car. The way he was hit caused him to tear his ACL in his right leg, which is why he was in surgery. But Peyton lost a lot of blood in the accident when he tore open his knee, which is why he is in such an intense recovery unit. They say everything is going to be fine, Peyton just has to rest and stay at the hospital for a few days and then the rest of his ACL recovery will be at home and in physical therapy," Mom finished.

I immediately hugged her, crying tears of joy. Everything was going to be fine. That's all I needed to hear. Peyton was going to be okay.

"Mom, I need to see him," I said smiling at my mom.

"But honey your—," My mom tried to say, "...ankle," I heard her say with a laugh because I was already on my crutches and out the door.

'Room 231,' I thought as I looked at the door. I listened to see if anyone was in there, I didn't want to intrude on his time with his family. All I heard was the familiar beeping of machines and the low murmurs of the television.

"Peyton?" I quietly called as I slowly opened the door.

'Of course, your still asleep,' I thought, laughing to myself at his sweetly sleeping face.

I pulled a chair up next to his hospital bed and held his hand like I did yesterday.

I looked up, 'Thank you,' I thought, sending a silent prayer up to God for keeping Peyton safe.

When I looked back down at the young man in front of me, his eyes began to flutter open.

"Peyton," I whispered, smiling. I can't help but smile around Peyton.

"Hey," he said in his deep, groggy voice, "How are you? Did my mom tell you I was here?" Peyton asked, smiling as usual.

'Wow, I just love the way he looks at me with this big green eyes,' I thought to myself.

"No, I snuck out yesterday and found your room but you were still asleep," I said, "But more importantly, Peyton, I don't even know how to thank y--" I started saying, "Don't worry about it, it was no big deal," he said, cutting me off and no longer looking at me, his facial expression suddenly changing.

"No really I--" I started again, "Do you think you could tell the nurse to get me something to drink?" He said, cutting me off again. My smile starting to fade, "Um, sure, but I--" I started in my third attempt, "I'm sorry I just don't really feel up to talking right now, maybe you should just go." Peyton said, no longer looking into my eyes but now examining his bed sheets.

'Ouch, that really stung,' I said, trying to fight back the tears.

"...Okay..." I half whispered as I walked out, shutting his door behind me.

I leaned back against his door. I sunk down to the ground and put my crutches over my lap. That was my breaking point. 'See! Every time you get your hopes up someone comes over, picks them up, and smashes them on the ground, breaking them into a million pieces,' I heard that evil little voice inside me say mockingly. But today, I just didn't have the courage to retaliate. I just sat there and cried. I usually never cry. Excluding recently, I can't even remember the last time I cried. I've never cried more in my life than within these past few days, obviously for numerous reasons...but this reason, heartbreak, that's the worst. I felt hollow and empty, like someone had knocked the wind out of me and I was gasping for oxygen in an airless room.

I must have stayed there for a while because soon my mom came looking for me.

"Oh honey," She finally said after I explained everything to her privately in the janitors closet across from Peyton's room. This is one of the many reason's I love my mom. She knew I needed her, so she came. She knew I wanted to talk in private, but was too sad to go all the way down to my room so we made a new home in the janitor's closet.

"I love you, Mom," I said, and I fully meant it.

"I love you too my beautiful baby girl," Mom said.

"You and me?" I said.

"You and me, forever Ang," She said, wrapping my pinkie in hers.

"Now we have to get back to your room and pack up," Mom said, giving me a little smirk, totally failing in her attempt to play it cool.

"Why?" I said, trying not to laugh at her attempt to be vague.

"We have a special visitor for you back at home that I'm sure will cheer you up!" She said, now smiling.

"Who?!?"

"You'll have to wait and see," Mom said, half singing, as she started handing me my crutches.   

.................................................
Hey guys! Thank you so much for reading chapter 7!

What do you think is going on with Peyton? Why is he suddenly so cold to Angelina? Do you think he still has feelings for her? Do you think they can ever rekindle what they had?
Who do you think is at her house?

Much more to come in Chapter 8! :)

Feel free to share "You'd Be My Wish Every Time" with your friends or follow my other accounts!

Vine account --> MariaAP1714 titled "girl meets peyton"

Twitter account --> MAP1714

Thank you all for the support, it means so much!

COMMENT, LIKE, SHARE😄❤️
xx,

M.