Baras. Ten Days Ago.

"What do you mean you're not testing it today?"

"I think the statement speaks for itself Nur," Clarita said, before her eyes were drawn to a circular saw, its handle inscribed with jewel-like beads. "Oooh! How much?"

The Fleet had docked at the coastal town of Baras that morning for one of its periodic mail and resupply runs. A docked Fleet meant a free day for the students. Clarita, like most of her peers, had decided to spend the free day browsing the wares at the portside tiangue, just beyond the town walls. While most of the vendors still displayed their wares on nothing more advanced than old carpets, the various clockwork mechanisms on sale--not to mention the new watchtower, twice as tall as the old bantayan--were a testament to the impact of commerce with the Fleet. Students were always welcome at the tiangue, and that was where Nur found her.

"For a pretty young girl like you, only two Lujine," said the old woman. Clarita gagged.

"There are towns in the Visayas where I could buy you for that much!"

"Well, you're not in the hinterlands girl," the vendor bit down hard on her betel chew and spat; a black smear appeared on the grass. "You're in the Qudarat Sultanate, and if you're not willing to pay for quality, then back to the ship with you!"

Before Clarita could muster a retort, Nur dragged her away. "Clarita, you've got bigger problems than a mouthy vendor."

Clarita shook off the taller girl's grip. "Nur I told you, the Auto-bird is done, but Dom says the model isn't ready yet--so no, I won't be conducting a field test today. How many times are you going to ask me the same question?"

"Let me try another one then," Nur said. "When did you stop taking your deal with your father seriously?"

Clarita went still. "Nur... you of all people should know better"

"No, you should know better," Nur said. She held up a hand to forestall Clarita's objections. "It's just the facts. You used to spend all your free time tinkering with that machine, double checking your calculations, stealing supplies... now, you're a permanent resident of the Tagalog's room."

"His name is Domingo," Clarita said, scowling at her friend, but Nur simply raised an eyebrow. Domingo's name wasn't the real issue here, and Clarita knew it.

It was true that she's been spending a lot of time with Domingo in the past few... had it really been months since she'd asked for Domingo's help? The days seemed a blur.

"I know what I'm doing." Clarita wished Domingo were here--he'd be able to tell Nur just how committed Clarita still was to her goal. But the Çelebi had been keeping Domingo's family updated as to his progress, and an aunt in Baras had insisted on having him visit while the Fleet was here. "We've still got two months before I meet my father, so there's plenty of--"

She stopped when she saw the look on Nur's face.
"No wonder you've been taking your sweet time." Nur gripped Clarita by the shoulders. "There was a Spanish raid on Dapitan a few weeks ago. If you'd been spending more time in the common areas you'd have heard. The Çelebi changed our route--we'll be docking at Jolo in ten days."

Clarita's body went rigid. She heard Nur continue to speak, but her friend's voice seemed like it came from far away. Clarita was already running the calculations in her mind, doling out the little time she suddenly had left amidst all the things that she now remembered had yet to be done, the little details that needed to be taken care of, the tests...

"Come on," she said, grabbing Nur's arm and pulling the taller girl along behind her. "No time to lose!"

They made it to the Da Vinci--the Khaliya Safin where most of the kafir resided--in less than an hour. Domingo had fallen out of the habit of locking his door ever since Clarita's modeling sessions began. Nur pushed the door open, then let out a low whistle, coming to a stop just as she stepped over the threshold.