Chapter Two

Anna's P.O.V.

His name drowns out any other stray thought I had conjured up to keep myself at bay during the car ride. Reed. It flows like poison through my veins, intoxicating me worse then any whiskey ever could. Soon enough it's all I can do to stare out the window and push the entrancing word from my mind. My plan quickly crumbles as the bees feed off the energy the name creates.

They just get worse as we got closer to the concert. The city gleams, smirking at us as we drive past towering buildings made entirely from glass. They look fragile. The smallest gust of wind would send the structure tumbling into the next, equally breakable tower. A domino effect to envy.

After forty five minutes I start getting restless. My palms tingle the same way they do when Im at school and I realize I forgot to cap the paint on my desk. It feels like I'm missing something. Like I should soon remember that I left the tap running. But nothing surfaces. No epiphanies of leaving the fridge door open or forgetting to lock the gate on my way out. Nothing but complete emptiness and a droning reminder that something is seriously off.

"Hey Poppy?" I question my friend quietly, afraid to disturb the facade of peace surrounding us.

"Mhm, what's up Ane?" She responds using the nickname I've had since fifth grade.

"Did we forget something? I can't stop thinking I forgot something?"

I'm desperate now. Praying for some logical reason to be feeling this way.

"Trust me," she says, "we've been planning for months. We didn't forget anything."

The bees hum and the butterflies suffocate whatever sanity I had left at her statement. I know deep down that she's right. We've known about this thing for a good five months, planing everything down to the minute. She even masterminded bathroom breaks. Some call it insane, I call it determined.

My thoughts are interrupted as we pull into the parking lot beside the building where Digi was happening. It's definitely not a sight for sore eyes. I digest the crumbling mass in front of me, my eyes wandering from the leave filled eavesdrops to the graffitied covered brickwork. An alley way stretched far back on either side of the building.

I slowly lift my eyes towards the queue, immediately regretting my decision. The line was already huge. People stretched down the endless block. You could see puffs of frosted breath coming from each person huddled on the cold pavement. Chilled air nipped at my uncovered fingers, making me wish I remembered to pick up my gloves or at least a warmer jacket on the way out the door. Maybe that's what I forgot.

The thought sent a humourless laugh tumbling from my mouth. It's deeper than that and I know it.

"Peanuts, it's cold out here," Poppy grumbles incoherently, "we got V.I.P. tickets, we're supposed to be in there by now!"

She was angry, I could tell by the use of the word peanuts. She doesn't like swearing. Meanwhile my trucker mouth gets wildly out of control at unconventional times. Like church when I stub my toe on the pews. I try to stop the words but it's no use as they come spewing from my lips, creating a tidal wave of disappointed looks from the crypt keepers that attended service every Sunday.

We wait in that line for an hour, mindlessly chatting with strangers who'll soon be nothing but forgotten faces. I've never been very good with names.

Reed.

The name floats back into my mind, thawed from its cold enduced coma. It leaves a candied taste in my mouth and a longing feeling in my chest. The chill in the air challenges the fire in my blood created by the simple word, sparking an electricity that floors me. Thank god Poppy is here to cover for me, making up some excuse about how excited I am when the girl starts to question me. I just nod quickly and look towards the cracked pavement.

When we finally get inside we have to wait another hour. The line winds and loops around corners, snaking back and forth, until finally they lead up a flight of stairs. What's beyond those stairs I can only guess are the people Poppy was presenting to me in the car. I shudder when I remember all the hair gel. Man am I in for a treat. My mind wanders back the golden haired boy. His eyes are sealed behind my eyelids, reminding me that he's here somewhere.

We're about halfway up the stairs and, I, a sentence when it hits me, the most amazing smell. Something close to a grove of lemon trees mingles with scent melted chocolate. The combination shouldn't be as invigorating as it is but, as I close my eyes, grabbing the railing to regain my balance, I can't help but breathe in deeply once more.

"Ane..." Paisley says, a careful, worried tone underlines my name.

I snap myself back to reality, releasing the railing in my wake.

"Sorry," I respond shakily, "But do you smell that? It's amazing."

"Anna, I don't know where you are but it doesn't exactly smell good in here."

To accentuate her point, she nudges me, shifting my braid ever so slightly in the process.

Reed's P.O.V.

I was in the middle of a sentence when I smelt it. The most amazing smell. Like lavender and honey. It fogs my mind as it swirls like smoke into my mind. Visions of a small, stunning girl start to form as I breathe in once more.

Then she's gone. Evaporated into thin air, erased by the cough sounding from in front of me.

"S-sorry 'bout that," I snap myself from my thoughts, "have a nice day cutie." The girl grumbles something but moves on.

He starts pacing in my head, Saywer, my wolf. Something's up. He's never this restless. I need to let him run soon but so far there's been no places. Even I miss shifting. Nothing quite compares to the freedom of running between trees, absorbing the sun through breaks in the leaves.

Nothing but finding my mate. She's out there somewhere, but so far I've come up empty. That's the main reason I came on this tour. I figure there's a good possibility she'll be in one of these cities. I just hope I'll find her soon.

I breathe in again, and greedily inhale more of the lavender air. It's infatuating. I have never been privileged enough to admire something so addictive. Something is off though. I can feel a shift in the air as the line moves forwards. I zone back in as another fan came up to meet me. I smile and mindlessly go through the motions.

Smile. Hug. Cheesy line. Next.

It gets repetitive. The same words tumble from my mouth as the blonde girl walks away from me. I don't mind, I don't even remember the name she uttered to me seconds ago. All I can think about is the faceless figure in my mind and the honey coated atmosphere.

I look up as I hear Sebastian rumble out something about his shoes.

"O-ok" she says shyly and giggles a little bit.

Her laugh rings like bells through the crowded space. Sawyer starts pacing faster. He's saying something too, but I'm too intoxicated from the sound of her voice that I pay no attention to him. My eyes snap to hers and everything else disappears. I got lost in her blue and green pools. They're large lagoons of mystery, hiding secrets that have me craving to learn each one. Her eyes capture mine with a look I cannot begin to describe. It captivates me whole and refuses to let go. A piece of hair falls into her sight but she doesn't seem to notice.

It is now when I hear just exactly what Sawyer was trying to say to me.

I found her, my mate.