New Beginnings

I came into work and went up to my office. The building was really quiet this early in the morning.

I walked into my office and saw a beautiful bouquet of white roses on my desk. There was a little card attached to the vase. It read:

"Not stalking, Just curious, hope you like roses" 

It was not signed with a name, but I instantly knew who they were from. I smiled and walked down the hall and knocked on Ryan's office door.

"Come in and make it quick" he said gruffly.

I walked in and smiled at him. "Thank you for the roses. They're beautiful"

He looked at me and sighed "white roses symbolize new beginnings, this is your new beginning" he said as he went back to writing something. His tone was dismissive. 

How could he manage to be so deep and rude at the same time? I tried not to frown. 

"Is there any way I can repay you for everything you've been doing for me?" I asked and smiled.

"Here's a thought, you can finish your work today and get out of here" he looked at me and rolled his eyes. I was caught off guard by his nasty comment, but I did not want to let him know that I was offended.

"Okay...I'll do that. But if you think of anything else let me know" I remarked. 

"Sure" he said. 

"Bye Mr. Saunders and thanks again! They're lovely" I said in a sarcastic tone and began to turn on my heel to walk out of his office. 

He looked at me in the eyes and I couldn't read the expression on his face. It looked like he was going to say something himself but he just nodded instead and went back to doing whatever it was he was working on before I interrupted him. 

I left his office and closed the door. I sighed and shook my head, I could not even formulate a thought about this man. How could someone so brooding and rude be so charming the next minute and vice versa? At the end of the day, I was finished with my work so I made myself a cup of coffee before getting ready to leave.

I saw that Ryan was still in his office based on the light coming from underneath the door, so I knocked on his door. He didn't respond so I wound up some courage and let myself in.

His head was in his hands with his fingers in his hair. 

"Ryan?" I asked quietly.

He looked up at me with bloodshot eyes and a crooked tie. 

"What are you still doing here?" He asked in a rude tone as he adjusted his tie and began to type something on his computer. 

"I finished work late. Here's some coffee" I made my way to his desk and set the coffee on it, cautiously. 

He took a huge gulp from his piping hot coffee. "How do you know the way I like my coffee?" he asked after setting the cup down.

I blushed "I remembered your coffee order from when we got coffee together, I'm not a stalker, just interested" I smiled.

"The first to listen. Go home, it's late" he said as he started up his computer again.

"You should go home too." I said.

He looked at me "I told you, I don't go home" he said angrily.

I was not taking this cap from him. "Well, you should. No matter how much work you still need to get done, you have better things to do at home, like sleep. Seriously, you can't work yourself into the ground. Give yourself a break once in a while" I huffed.