CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE

Millie felt a moment of sheer panic. Jake Burnett was coming to Pebble Creek and with him, her daughter Marianne.

Several sensations coursed through her; joy at the chance of seeing her daughter again, fear of Jake's reaction at her presence in the camp and anger and revulsions that that painted hussy Francie, was still in close association with Marianne.

When Jake discovered that his former wife was here she knew he would move heaven and hell to be rid of her. Well, let him do his worst.

She must make a secure place for herself before he came. Once she was established he might find it difficult to remove her. After all, there was no law in Pebble Creek, except the law of the gun. That meant that every man and every woman was a law unto themselves. So be it.

'Well, since the hotel ain't built yet,' Millie said, controlling the tremor in her voice. 'Where can a decent woman find a bed to rent around here?'

Hoot scratched his whiskery chin again.

'You could try Dooley's saloon,' he said. 'Mike Dooley sometimes rents a room for the right price.'

'A saloon!' Millie was aghast. 'You mean amongst all those loose women?'

'Mike got girls in his saloon right enough to persuade customers to drink up,' Hoots agreed. 'But he don't let any of 'em use his place to entertain men on their own. No siree!'

'Ain't there nowheres else?'

Hoots shook his head. 'Only the tents and I don't recommend that for a lady like you.'

Millie sighed. 'I guess I gotta try Dooley's then,' she said resignedly. 'If I find a room I'll call back for my things.'

'Any time, little lady,' Hoots said.

Millie had noticed Dooley's Saloon when she and Ben had been looking for a place to eat. The wood built building looked to be quite new. The paintwork was still bright and had not yet been blistered by the sun.

Millie stood in the shade of a tent opposite and had a good look at it. Jake had met Francie in a place like this and she had trapped him into deserting his wife and stealing her child.

In revulsion of the thought she turned away and then hesitated. There was nowhere else. She had boasted to Ben that she could handle anything the mining camp threw her way. She must overcome her aversion or everything was lost.

Millie walked up the few wooden steps in front, pushed open the shoulder-high swing doors and strode in. The place looked almost deserted. A handful of men were seated at a table playing cards; with a couple of fancy whey-faced girls in frills and frippery leaning over their shoulders.

All eyes turned on Millie as she stood there uncertainly.

'Come on, deal!' a man's voice said gruffly, calling them back to their game.

The girls continued to stare, and Millie saw them nudge each other as they did so, insolent smiles on their painted faces.

Scornfully Millie turned her gaze away and strode to the bar counter. A burly built gingery haired man stood behind it, wearing an apron. He looked her up and down for a moment and then grinned.

'Yes, lady, what'll you have?' He had a strange lilting accent, but Millie knew he was not Irish.

'I'd like to speak with Mr Dooley.'

'What about?

'None of your business!' Millie snapped. 'Is he about?'

The man chuckled. 'That depends, see, that's why I'm asking. If you're looking for work then you must see Lily. She's the head girl.'