The Rainbow

The boy stands at the top of a hill. It is dark and cold and he is tired. But the boy is vigilant. He looks out across the land, squinting across the darkness. He is looking for someone, the person who will make him complete.

The night is long and the boy can barely see. His eyes can't focus. But he can't stop searching. He hopes that morning will come soon and he'll be able to take in more of the land.

He stands and he searches and little by little night turns into day.

It is a brilliant morning. The sky is clear blue and all the land is illuminated in absolute clarity. He continues to scan. But he sees nothing.

And then he notices something, far off in the distance. A rainbow.

There is not a cloud to be seen and no moisture in the air and the boy reads this as a sign. He decides to leave his sentry post and heads out to find the source of this rainbow.

The journey is long and there are no roads, but the boy does not lose sight of his goal. When night falls, he trusts his judgement and sense of direction and keeps heading straight on. He does not falter.

Eventually he reaches the source of the rainbow. A beautiful girl who is crying great floods of tears. She is crying so hard that the tears fill the sky and are caught by the brilliant sunlight.

"Why are you crying," asks the boy.

"I am crying because I am happy," the girl replies. "I am crying because I dreamt that you would come here and find me, and that we would be together from this day on."

The boy nods. He has no words to say. And none are needed.

He reaches out his hand and the girl takes it. And together they walk off into the world.

*********

Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed this, please remember to vote and I'd love to hear your comments, positive or negative. Happy to receive feedback on corrections or clarifications, too.

I hope you also enjoy the other stories in this collection.