Chapter One

{Here is the first chapter of my… interesting story. Enjoy!}

 As my sight became less blurred, I could begin to see that the blobs of color around me were items in the room, one in particular was a quite attractive face. He seemed familiar, although I couldn’t think of a name or where I recognized him from. He grinned and stood from his seat.

 "Are you awake now?” He asked in a subtle voice, cautiously walking to the couch I was sitting on. I nodded, still trying to get that name off the tip of my tongue.

 He sat down next to me and put both his arms around me.

 Woah, was he hugging me? Hmm, maybe he thinks I’m cute. I mentally scoffed at myself for even thinking that. No, really who are you and why are you hugging me, peasant?.

 I stayed lifeless in his arms; I wasn’t going to hug this guy I didn’t even know.

 “You know who I am, right?” He looked hurt, as if he anticipated me to identify him right away. I shook my head with an apologetic expression. “No, I don’t.”

 I’m not sure what it was, but something made me feel guilty for not knowing him. What was I supposed to say? ‘Oh yeah, I know you! You’re… that guy… that I know.’

 “I’m Jc.” He looked as if he was going to explain more, but he closed his mouth and waited for my response. I still didn’t know who he was. He didn’t give a last name.

 Did he expect me to recognize him just from a first name?

 “I still don’t know who you are.” I said sliding away from him. I was starting to feel uncomfortable in this position.

 The room we were sitting in was also unfamiliar to me. There were huge floor-to-ceiling windows on the left side of me that viewed out over the beach. Everything in the room was a light white or sand tone and was beach themed. The couch we were sitting on had pillows with palm trees on them and the rug had some type of blue and white pattern that almost looked like water.

 “Chloe…” He whispered, not only could you see the hurt in his expression, you could feel it and hear it with everything he did or said. The tension was filling the room, as was the awkwardness of this situation.

 I’m sorry, I don’t know who you are. I’m not even sure I know who Chloe is. Is that me?

 I returned my attention to his face. “Chloe?” I asked in a quiet voice. He looked down, sadly. Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do.

 Come on, you idiot. Say it. Apologize for your unnecessary skepticism.

 No, what if he’s going to kidnap me.. er you?

 Then run when he pulls out the handful of candy and points to the white van in the driveway. For now, you are safe.

 That’s it, I am NOT having this argument with myself. Nope, not happening.

 “I’m sorry.. if I frightened you. I don’t mean to make you uncomfortable. Chloe, do you remember anything? Anything at all?” He looked back up. His eyes were glowing with hopefulness and expectation, but I had nothing. I had to turn down those shiny, brown eyes.

 “I don’t think so.” I wasn’t brave enough to say anything more, such as ‘Who are you?’, ‘Where am I?’, or ‘What happened?’.

 “Maybe if I could explain what happened, you’ll remember a bit?” He smiled slightly. His hope was still there, assuring me that he did care at least somewhat.

 I nodded, letting him begin his story. How badly could this end?

 He took a deep breath before beginning. “Once upon a time…” He chuckled, “I’m kidding.” I laughed quietly, pulling my feet up, hugging my knees and sliding in-between the couch cushions. I watched him as he continued. 

"I met a girl one day. She was quiet and shy, but completely adorable. I started talking to her, and asked for her number, but sadly I didn’t get it.”

 Are you going to tell me about the many times Jc has been rejected? Or does this story actually have relevance to our situation?

 “The next day, same place, I saw the same girl. Turns out she’s addicted to Taco Bell just as much as my friends and I are.” He chuckled to himself, “She recognized me, we talked again, and this time she asked for my number. She got it.”

 Wait, wait, so maybe he’s just going to explain how he’s taken and that no matter how sexy he is, I’m not allowed to touch?

 I stayed quiet, keeping my eyes locked on him and all his actions.

 “Our first date, we went ice skating, then we got hungry so we ended up leaving to go to Taco Bell.” I burst out laughing. I’m not sure what was so funny about it, although it is probably one of the cutest love stories I’ve heard.

 He laughed along with me, and then proceeded with the story. “We had been dating for two years, I was with her and a couple other friends of ours, when I decided it’d be a good idea to start tickling her.”

 “She rolled around on the floor giggling. I couldn’t help but find it really adorable, so I continued.” He paused, “Biggest Mistake Of My Life.” He muttered. Everything that seemed bubbly and perky about him, disappeared.

 “Why?!” I blurted out. I was getting caught up in his silly love story. It was like reading Twilight all over again.

 He squeezed his eyes shut. “She was rolling down the hallway, with me crawling after her. She was laughing so hard that she rolled down the staircase. I tried to catch her, I couldn’t. Our friends came running out after the thud. We all screamed her name, ‘Chloe’ and ran down the stairs after her, ”

 I gasped. Chloe? He called ME Chloe, it couldn’t have been me. It does make sense though. Girl falls, girl has amnesia, girl forgets boyfriend…

 He nodded, knowing what I was thinking. “We all drove her to the hospital. Good news, she was going to be okay, a few stitches and some love could cure her. Bad news, she had retrograde amnesia. She wouldn’t be able to remember most of anything for the past couple of months. They said she may remember it later on after the amnesia had worn off.” He sighed, “Should I continue? Or have you figured it out already?”

 I bit my lip hard, searching for words to say. “One quick question, Am I Chloe?

“Yes.” The soft word, felt good, yet stung all at once

{So how awful was it? Worth continuing? Or..?}