Eye-Contact Part 4

It was a moment of pure bliss as I forgot everything except the hands on my waist and the lips on mine. But it was over too quickly as Ricky pushed me away. I looked up at him and knew I'd made a stupid mistake.

Why on earth would Ricky Wilson ever want to kiss me? That was stupid and immature and I let my crush blind my judgement. And now he's my coach, there's no way to avoid him. I tried to cover my shock with a laugh, leaning my head against his chest, giggling like a school girl.

"Oh, my, gosh," I laughed, masking my awkwardness. "I can't believe I just did that!"

"Alice," He muttered my name, but how could we ever come back from this? It was irreversible.

"No, no, I'm sorry." I kept laughing, I was almost falling into hysterics. Things were not going well for me, I wasn't handling this well at all. "I totally didn't mean to do that. I'm sorry, I've had too much to drink." But I'd only had one glass of wine, one I hadn't even finished. "I think I'm just going to go to bed and we can talk about this in the morning." I flashed him a quick smile, then pulled myself away from him and through the crowd, heading up the stairs to my shared apartment with Sasha.

I was on autopilot as I made my way into the kitchen. I walked around the island for a few times, at loss with what to do with myself before I made my way over to the big window at the back of the living room. I propped it open and breathed in the fresh air. What had I been thinking down there? It wasn't even like my crush on Ricky was that big, I could have easily controlled myself around him, except he had made me feel like I didn't need too. I sighed into the night sky, I couldn't blame this on him, I had initiated it, this was my fault. God knows what was going to happen now, but my night had been ruined and maybe my chance on The Voice had been too. I just had to deal with whatever comes. I kept replaying the night over and over in my mind. The steal had only been a few hours ago. Maybe my crush isn't real and I'm just amplifying everything because he chose me and it felt as if he kissed me back, but I didn't feel sure. My brain could justify my mistake all it wanted, but my heart was beating the same way when I hear a new favourite song. Fast.

I keep replaying it over in my mind, questioning everything I did. But my thoughts are interrupted by a knock at the door. For a split second, I think it could be Ricky, but dismiss the thought. He wouldn't turn up here, it must be Sasha. So I slide away from the window, walking around the sofa to the front door. I open it and stare in shock. My first guess was right, Ricky's standing at my door. I swallow, not being able to tear my eyes away from his. I silently step to the side and he steps past me into the apartment. After closing the door, I walk into the kitchen, finding Sasha's whiskey bottle, I pour out a small amount into a glass and throw it back. Maybe liquid courage will help steady my shaking hand.

"You want some?" I offer.

"No, thanks." Ricky answers and I pour myself another glass before putting the bottle away. The whisky burns its way down my throat, but it helps me focus.

"What're you doing here?"

Ricky sits down on the opposite side of the work top and I realise we're both treating this a lot more seriously than we need to. It was one kiss. Not a whole relationship, there are no real feelings involved.

"I... I fell bad. I didn't mean to push you away, I mean, I did, but, uh, not for why you think. Okay, I could get in real trouble for this, but I like you, Alice. I do, but," I sigh and take another long sip of whisky. "We can't date or anything, not while you're a contestant and even after, it would be tricky." I watch him, he seems so nervous. I can see his Adams apple bobbing up and down in his throat and he's wringing his hands together. I walk around the island to stand next to him and take his hands in mine, feeling like I can be the strong one.