CHAPTER 11

Chapter Eleven

I'm pacing.

Up and down, up and down, up and down. I have no idea how long this has been going on for, but I'm starting to panic now.

She's been in her room for almost two hours. And I can't seem to pluck up the courage to go in and ask her what's wrong.

It's obviously something I said. Something about the kiss. And I feel horrible. Maybe it was more than a heat of the moment thing for me, but maybe it wasn't for her. Maybe she just kissed me by accident. No meaning behind it, no nothing.

I was reading into it way too much, that's the problem here. And Cheryl being Cheryl, doesn't want to hurt my feelings.

I can't take this much longer. I need to talk to her right now. But maybe she just needs her space. I don't want to go bombarding her. Maybe there's something else wrong. 

I won't know until I talk to her.

I grit my teeth and nod once. I need to stop being an idiot. I walk to her door and knock three times.

"Cheryl?" I choke on her name, nerves beginning to take over. I hear footsteps on the other side and the doorknob twists. I step back as she opens the door.

Her eyes are ringed in red, wet tears still clinging to her cheeks and her eyelashes. And I'm completely taken aback.

"Cheryl what's...what's going on?" My voice sounds small, pathetic almost. But I'm scared. She's obviously been crying and I don't want it to be over me.

"I'm s-sorry, it's just...I'm emotional because of everything that's been happening and it's all just so crazy! I don't know what I'm feeling anymore!" She cries, leaning against the door frame for support. I stare at her in complete confusion.

"About what?" She sighs, hiccuping slightly and she bites her lip, looking up at me through tear stained eyelashes.

"That kiss meant a lot to me, Kimberley." She whispers. My heart flies to my throat and I grip the TV cabinet for support. I have no idea what to say to her right now, but the relief washing through me is staggering.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, I'm just so confused about everything and I never thought I would feel this way..." She trails off, shaking her head and looking down at the floor in anguish. I have no idea how to reassure her...how to tell her that she's not the only one that kiss affected. 

It seems like the only logical thing to do. And my body acts on its own behalf. I'm suddenly stepping forward, gripping her face in my hands gently and pressing my lips against hers.

At this point, the blood is rushing in my ears so loudly, I feel like I'm on the beach somewhere and the waves are crashing against the rocks. Her hands wrap around my waist gently and she deepens the kiss, lips parting in a small gasp. 

I pull away from her, knocking my forehead against hers gently, panting like I've been running for miles and miles. She's still looking at me in shock and I smile, chuckling under my breath.

"Don't worry, I'm confused as well." I breathe. She laughs, another hiccup jarring her body and she wraps her arms around my neck, burying her face into my hair. I hug her back just as tightly, the familiar smell of lavender and scented candles hitting me like a tidal wave.

"I wish I never left you behind at that Orphanage." She whispers. I can feel the tears beginning to build in my eyes and I rest my head on her shoulder, blinking them back. God, how I wish she never did. It's all I've ever wanted. To go back in time and stop that family from taking her away from me. But she had a better life because of it. She was raised in a good home, raised with good people. I'd rather take the pain of missing her than have had her stuck in that Orphanage with me.