Chapter 1

Chapter 1

High school was like another world to me. As kids rushed by me with their iPods in their ears or their cell phones in their hands, all I could think about were the differences between this world and the one I’d grown used to. To me, school had been a textbook and an online quiz at the end of the month. This was something else entirely.

My eyes were wide and I couldn’t help but stare as people hustled through the hallways, chatting or yelling and waving across the crowd. Everyone seemed to have their own sense of style and because I’d picked a school that was closer to the inner city, few of the clothing here was designer label. I glanced down at my own boring outfit. I was wearing a pair of dark wash Guess jeans with a plain white t-shirt that wasn’t too loose and wasn’t too tight. My shoulder length dark brown hair was held back in a pony tail and I wasn’t wearing any make up.

My eyes caught on one girl whose make up winged out from her eyes and went all the way to her hair line in an incredible artistic design filled with colours and sparkles. It was amazing and my gaze followed her as she walked by me. At the last second her dark eyes connected with mine and she scowled. “Take a picture, honey.”

I blinked, feeling my cheeks go red and faced forward once more, moving slowly through the crush of students. Finally I made it to the main office. I shut the door firmly behind me, taking a deep breath, feeling relieved at being away from the crowds but energized too. After six weeks of planning and searching, I’d made it. I was now a Student at Trinity High School. A small smile spread across my face at the thought.

“What the hell are you just standing there for?”

I blinked, my eyes connecting with a pair or irate blue ones glaring at me from behind a desk. Hastily I moved forward. “I’m sorry, I’m a new student here. I registered a few weeks ago. My name is─”

“Take a number,” she cut me off, waving to the numbered cards hanging off the wall to my left. “Have a seat over there and wait until you’re called.” I looked to where she was pointing and saw a couple rows of seats with teenagers sitting in them. Each student had a number in their hands.

I raised an eyebrow but took a number and grabbed a seat.

“Hey pretty lady.” I turned to see the guy sitting next to me leaning over the arm of my chair. I moved as far away from him as I could get as his breath washed over me. I couldn’t be a hundred percent sure but I think I could smell beer.

“Are you drunk?” I whispered making him break down into peals of laughter.

“Did you hear that Mrs. West? She asked me if I was drunk,” the guy slurred as he faced the secretary who seemed to be filing her nails.

She rolled her eyes. “You are drunk, Ryan.”

He seemed to think this was hilarious because his laughter was twice as loud this time. Eventually he started to calm down and within five minutes he was snoring in the chair beside me. I stared at him in fascination until I heard Mrs. West sigh and call out a number.

The line up went fairly slowly and the bell had already rung before it was my turn. “Name?” the secretary asked, not looking at me as she continued to file her nails. She’d been filing for the last half an hour, did she even have any nails left?

“Rosemary Adams.” She rifled through the papers strewn across her desk before picking one out.

“Here you go,” she said handing it to me.

I read the page, half turning away before stopping. “Um, this is Josh Avery’s schedule.”

She snatched it out of my hands quickly before handing me another one. This one had my name on it and I said a polite thank you before leaving the room.