The Kiss (Sam)

She had said too much, and had freaked Maggie out. Sam was sure of it. She often came on too strong, too blunt. Sometimes Sam wondered if she was missing part of her brain that other people had, telling them what to say when. How to be normal.

Suppressing a shiver of painful, visceral embarrassment, Sam started to pull away, but Maggie tightened her fingers around Sam's, the ridiculous cravat still pressed between their hands.

"Sam," Maggie rasped.

Sam forced herself to meet Maggie's eyes, waiting for her to say: thanks, but no thanks.

But Maggie just looked up at her, her dark eyes anxious and pensive and full of... heat, Sam realized with a jolt. Desire. For her?

"Sam," Maggie said. "I'm terrible at econ."

Sam blinked, puzzled. "So?"

"Isn't it your favorite subject?"

"Math is my favorite subject."

"Oh, my God," Maggie said, with a little shudder. "I actually do like geometry—but seriously, calculus, I can't even—"

"I c-can tutor you," Sam offered at once.

Maggie smiled shyly. "I would like that."

"Okay." They were still holding hands. Sam was pretty sure it was not normal to discuss calculus tutoring while holding hands on a fire escape.

"Sam," Maggie said again. "You meant it, didn't you? You really do think I'm wonderful."

"I meant it," Sam said softly.

"The thing is," Maggie murmured, "I think you're wonderful, too."

"Oh." Hope ticked in Sam's chest, slow and hesitant.

"I should've listened to you from the beginning—really listened." Maggie sighed. "We met so long ago—what was it, first day of freshman year?"

They had in fact first seen each other standing in line at orientation, a few hours even before Sam had met Alec. Maggie had been in the center of a big, boisterous group of people, but Sam, predictably, had been alone, feeling extremely homesick. Even back then—before Maggie had gotten into costuming, when she still wore jeans and a t-shirt every day—she had been radiant.

"I should have spoken up," Sam said. "I d-didn't think you'd even noticed I was there."

"I always notice you," Maggie murmured. "How could I not?" She disentangled one hand and reached for the fuzz at Sam's temple, where the stylist had buzzed her hair. But her fingers didn't quite touch Sam's skin, and she dropped her hand to her side, her cheeks coloring. "I don't have anything to give you."

"Of course you d-do." Just her presence was a gift.

Maggie's eyes were searching, worried. "You know you could have anyone you want."

"S-so could you."

"And if I want you? If I've always wanted you?"

Sam's heart flipped over. "Then I'm yours."

Maggie's hand finally found Sam's temple, and she stroked one delicate fingertip across Sam's undercut. Her gaze fell to Sam's mouth. "Can I—?"

"Yeah." Please.

Maggie stood up on her tiptoes and kissed Sam on the mouth. Maggie's lips were warm and soft; her sweet scent, all-enveloping; her curves, so perfect. Sam's free hand found its way to Maggie's hair. Her curls were thick and springy and every bit as exuberant as Maggie herself. Sam had always loved them.

"This is a gr-great gift, for example," Sam said, grinning into the kiss in spite of herself.

Maggie giggled, pressing her face into the crook of Sam's neck. "There's a lot more where this one came from, if you want them."

Sam laughed, too—a giddy laugh that had nothing to do with her vodka tonic and everything to do with the girl in her arms. "Every single one."

********

Omg you guys, this short story ended up being so hard to write! What do you think? Does it work? Is it too short? Is there enough kissing? (Just kidding, I know there's no such thing as enough kissing. ;) )

Thank you so much for reading! <3

xoxo,

London