Chapter 1

Mizushima Ai's POV

Today, I start my first day at middle school. I'm attending Teiko Middle School which was supposedly famous for it's sports clubs. At this, I immediately thought of basketball but I pushed those thoughts away. Even though the reason why I chose to attend this school was partly related to it. I'm actually glad that my parents allowed me to study here and bought me a house near this school. 

I wore a pair of huge red glasses in order to look as timid and nerdy as possible. Another reason was because I didn't want to get too much attention. As I entered the classroom, I realized that no one was there yet. I chose a seat by the window and took out a book to read. 

"O-HA-YO!!!" Someone greeted. I looked up and saw an energetic pink haired girl smiling at me cheerfully. "Ohayo." I replied, turning back to my story. "That's mean." She frowned and continued to bother me much to my displeasure. 

"My name is Momoi Satsuki. Oh! And this is Aomine Daiki!" She grabbed a tanned boy with dark blue hair by the arm and pulled him over. I took a glance at him. "You play basketball." I stated. Momoi beamed at this. "Do you play too? What's your name?" I felt irritated, truly irritated and I snapped my book shut. "My name is Mizushima Ai. Mizushima Ai. And no, I don't. Can you stop bothering me now?" I said with my voice a bit louder than usual, and I glared at her through my glasses.

Momoi pouted and was just about to say something when our homeroom teacher came in, silencing us and telling us to find a seat. She finally left, deciding to sit behind me with Aomine. Peace, at last. I sighed but just as I was about to grab my textbooks, a huge shadow casted over me. I looked up to see a purple haired giant, yes GIANT sit next to me munching on snacks. I wanted to tell him to sit somewhere else but as my gaze wandered around the classroom, I found that all the other seats were taken. I let out a silent howl.

When it was time to sign up for clubs, I walked around, scanning through all the posters and signs, purposely ignoring the one which said basketball. I had long given up. I tried to find one which at least caught a little bit of my interest but no luck, they all looked so boring. The older students just made the atmosphere even worse with their crow like voices cracking while they tried to gain our interests. I walked away since I enjoy the silence. 

And that's when I encountered the Shogi club. When I saw that there were only three members in total, I put my name down on the sign up sheet without further hesitation. Peace and silence for club activities... I felt satisfied with my decision as I thought that thought.

That afternoon, I went for my first session of Shogi but to my surprise, the seniors weren't there. "They were only there to recruit members because the headmaster asked them to do it." a voice rang behind me. I turned around and saw a boy with hair as red as blood and matching eyes with vertical pupils standing behind me. "So there's only two members, is that right?" I asked. He smiled gently and said, "Let's play. But you better not disappoint me." My eyes twitched slightly in annoyance but I still did as he asked. 

The sun has already set outside. We have been playing for 3 hours straight and I was rather surprised to find that his concentration could last this long as well. Even though we've been playing for such a long period of time, each of us only ate two of the other's pieces. 

"Let's continue tomorrow." I said.

"Losing your concentration?" He asked. I couldn't tell if he was teasing or not.

"No. It's getting late." I pointed out the windows.

As the red haired boy was about to leave, he turned back to me and said,

"Good game. I'm Akashi Seijuro." I nodded politely adding,

"My name is Mizushima Ai."