Chapter 13 - Safe Haven

Doyle leans against the side of the car holding up his shirt as I examine his wound. I manage to keep a "professional" state of mind so I don't start blushing or something stupid.

"It doesn't seem to be infected or anything," I tell him, stepping back. He drops his shirt and it slips back over his protruding ribs and shrunken stomach. "Not that I know anything about infections."

"I trust your opinion," He says, grinning.

My cheeks heat up, and I glance down at my feet with a bashful grin, tucking a strand of crazy-frizzy hair behind my ear. "I should probably take them out soon," I mumble about his stitches."

"Ah, that'll be fun, won't it?" He jokes, punching me lightly in the shoulder.

"Totally," I reply sarcastically, heaving my backpack onto my back. The car has finally run out of gas, so we're having to go the rest of the way on foot. But according to my patient/love interest (I've decided now that it's not just relief), we aren't far from Finley now, just about five miles or so.

It's around mid-afternoon, I'd say, judging by the sun (my dad taught me how to do that, by the way). Thanks, Daddy, you were a great teacher.

Izzy said she had to pee and headed into some bushes. Seth is getting weapons out of the trunk. We kept our pistols and knives on us, but the rifle, random extra pistols and knives and ammunition were put in the trunk.

"Come on Izzy!" Seth calls after handing out the assorted weapons to us, "Hurry up!"

"Shut your ugly pie-hole!" She screeches from behind some bushes, "It's harder for girls to pee in the woods than it is for boys who have special apparatuses that aim!"

Doyle sniggers, I break into a wide grin and Seth just looks annoyed.

Then Izzy adds, "Not that you ever actually aim at the toilet!"

"It's not like we even have toilets anymore!" Seth protests.

"You're an idiot!" Izzy yells at him.

Seth is about to reply, but Doyle tells him to be quiet. Yeah, exchanging insults is fun and all, but noise could attract dead things.

Eventually we get going, and walk. And walk. And it's still cold.

"I can't wait to get a shower," I tell no one in particular.

"Me neither," Doyle says.

"I can't wait for you to have a shower, either," Izzy tells Doyle, crinkling her nose, "You're disgusting."

"You really are hilarious," He says with a laugh, "But fortunately, I'm feeling sane at the moment, so no laughing attacks."

"Yeah, that was pretty weird," I say.

"But funny," Seth puts in. "I've never seen people laugh like that for no reason before."

"Did you live in a hole?" Doyle jokes, repeating what Seth said when I told him I'd never seen Star Wars.

"No, my family was just sane," Seth replies.

"Sorry, but sane is boring," I tease, looking back at Seth and crossing my eyes.

"Then you must be the most exciting person in the world," He kids me, crossing his eyes and sticking his tongue out.

"Well, it's not like she has much competition anymore," Izzy says glumly, instantly sobering the mood.

She's right. For all we know, we could be the last four people on Earth. That doesn't mean, however, that I will help repopulate the planet. I've never liked babies.