Chapter 7 • The Fumes of Failure

Ron stretched out in his bed, throwing off his red and gold sheets. He stood up, yawning, and grabbed the first pair of robes he saw. He got dressed and decided to wait for Harry to wake up before he left for breakfast.

Sitting on his bed, he thought about his relationship with Hermione. He thought it was a perfect as any relationship could get. It wasn't too intimate, but they shared secrets about themselves nobody else knew. Things they couldn't tell Harry or anyone else. He found himself smiling as he thought of her beautiful face, and the feel of her soft hands in his. He wondered when the time would come that they kissed. He could only imagine how great it would be. He was shaken from his trance by the sound of Harry's bed creaking as he sat up.

"'Morning," he said to Harry. "Get what you needed from the library last night?" Harry didn't reply. "Is everything okay?" He asked, looking at Harry's pale face and haunted eyes. "You didn't get hit on the head by Peeves, did you?" He asked, standing up. Harry just shook his head. Ron checked his watch. "I'll be in the Great Hall," he said, casting an unsure glance at Harry. "See you later."

He walked out of the dormitory, worried about his friend. The library was always empty at night, why shouldn't Harry have got what he needed? He shook it off as he saw Hermione waiting for him by the portrait hole. She looked tired.

"Did McGonagall give you a hard task?" He asked her, taking her hand in his.

Hermione turned pink. "No, just--just tiring. We had to rearrange the Herbology section of the library, which was a pain. Especially with D--Malfoy," She said, not meeting his eyes. But Ron was already pushing open the portrait. At least he knew why Harry didn't get any books last night.

"Oh. Well, I know how to wake you up." Ron took them out of the common room and swept Hermione into his arms. He kissed her softly, putting his hand behind her head as she kissed him back.

Her lips were sweet, and her hands tender as they pressed against his back. He could feel the soft curves of her sides as he held her close, not letting go, just kissing her. She ran a hand through his hair and pulled him closer, her eyelashes tickling his cheeks. Ron could feel her warm breath on his face. He caressed her soft skin as they stood in the middle of the corridor, lost in their embrace. They stood there, kissing, until the creak of the portrait opening jolted them apart.

Ron ran his hand through his hair as he jumped away from Hermione, his ears red. Harry emerged from the common room, and as he saw them jump apart, Ron noticed he looked...angry. He couldn't be jealous; he would never go for Hermione, but Ron was confused by the furious glare he shot at Hermione, and her guilty expression. Hermione wasn't seeing Harry, was she? Oh, God, that was the last thing he needed.

Ron was preoccupied all the way to the Great Hall, but lost his worries in the piles of food arrayed before them. He could hear Harry and Hermione's heated voices in the background, but didn't bother to listen to what they said. He would rather not know.

In their first class, Hermione and Harry weren't speaking again. Ron leaned over to ask Hermione what they were arguing about, but she wouldn't answer. He held her hand under the table, but she still seemed guilty. Was he a bad kisser? He thought back to Harry and Cho's relationship. Cho had been unhappy after kissing him, but she was just sad...Could Hermione be troubled by something?

"Are you okay?" He asked her once class ended. He was never good at feelings.

"Yeah, yeah," Hermione said distractedly, looking around the corridor.

Ron wasn't sure if she was telling the truth, so he pressed on. "Are you sure? You seem a little distracted."

"Huh? Yeah, everything's fine." Hermione said.