chapter-12

I was blinded by lights. An everlasting illumination of bright, blinding lights. I knew darkness could be dangerous, frightening. But what of lights? The radiating trickery of them? The way they bloke your view and you wouldn't know what was lying ahead? You hoped something good might find their way to you because, of course, lights were supposed to be good; but you could never know.

It was only when I was fully consumed in lights that I realized the significance of my situation. I was afraid of the possibilities. Always had been. I was afraid that meanwhile I stood there, like a stone, something was playing against me. Something was waiting. And I was losing my mind, not for the first time.

I took in a sharp breath. "You are dreaming," I told myself.

And at once, when I finished my sentence, I heard a noise behind me.

"You are weird."

I jumped, slightly. It was a child's voice. And I knew that voice.

"Henry?" I whispered.

"Your dress is weird," he repeated.

I turned around to see that I was right. I saw little Henry smirking at me in a childish way. I liked that smile. And I realized that I couldn't see anything else but him.

Lights, because of the goddamned glimmering lights.

"Where are we?" I asked.

He smirked even more. "You don't know?"

"Should I?" I took a step but he backed.

"Ask the paper," he said.

"What?"

"Ask the paper."

"What paper?"

"The paper, the paper," he singsonged. "The paper you see everyday."

"Newspaper?"

He smiled again, "You're smart."

I shook off his comment, "What should I ask?"

He took another step behind. "You will know."

He stepped back, again; and suddenly my vision came. And wouldn't you have guessed it? I was at the lake. I looked from Henry to the crystal water in the lake which was only a few feet away from me. Henry kept on backing and I suddenly realized what was about to happen.

"Henry?" I whispered through my clenched breath. "What are you doing?"

He didn't answer, turning his back on me this time.

And then he started to run.

"Henry! Don't!" I tried to scream. But then I realized that my voice wasn't working. It was typical. Nothing ever worked in a dream. This was a dream, wasn't it? But then it shouldn't have felt so real. 

And I closed my eyes because I knew it was a dream. This had got to be a dream where I knew I couldn't save him. I couldn't save anybody. I knew what I would hear next. A splash in the water as he dived. And I knew what would happen after that. I would wake up.

And I did. In an oddly familiar surrounding with the pulsating dream still laced in my mind.

_

I heard noises in my slumber. Sounds that felt like coming from distance. I tried to make them out in my sleep until they became clearer and I realized that I was not sleeping or dreaming, anymore.