Chapter 2

The low, powerful beats of music coming from the gymnasium seeped out into the crowd standing in the entryway. Claire had just shuffled hurriedly into the school to present her ID and escape the cold.

The two boys from earlier were still in front of Claire. Which needless to say-puzzled her to no end. There were no sign-ins at a spirit dance, so how were they planning on getting in past the five teachers and undercover cops waiting to take your ID and ticket? At the front door of all places.

Lilian was behind Claire chatting in a hushed tone with Al. Claire didn't feel obligated to get into the middle of that, for a number of reasons. One being it could no doubt be about Al's ex-girlfriend who had cheated on him with Max Hilbner. So much drama was around that topic it made Claire's head ache. Not to mention that this happened two months ago, not two days-two freaking months.

Claire edged to lean in on the conversation of the boys in front of her. Something about them spiked her curiosity-which wasn't all that difficult. They stood shoulder to shoulder dressed entirely in black, which was slightly odd. Claire watched as one boy gave the other a serious look clearly saying "watch it."

The boy who had received the look was slightly taller and didn't have as much of a muscular frame. The shorter boy had black hair that curled around his ears-come to notice it they both looked alike. Other than the height differences, they both seemed to have the same chalky skin tone and hair black as coal.

Claire wasn't usually an eves-dropper, there was just something odd about these two. It definitely beat listening to Al and Lilian anyway.

Claire pushed her blond curls away from her face and glanced into her bag for her own ID to break her awkward staring, which no doubt was earning her a few glances.

She shuffled through her brown leather shoulder bag and produced her rather horrid looking student ID. Even in her last year of high school, she still couldn't produce a decent picture. She hastily flipped it over and went to pull her cell phone from her pocket, only to grasp a pair of headphones.

Typical.

Her phone was still on the dresser, at Lilian's house.

Claire silently cursed herself as the line moved ahead and the two boys stepped up to present an ID (which they clearly did not have) to none other than Mrs. Delirious. This wasn't actually the woman's name, but she had earned it from Claire who thought it suited the old hag perfectly.

Claire leaned in slightly, she didn't want to miss a fuming Mrs. Delirious and two jokers reactions.
"ID please" said Mrs. Delirious tiredly.
"Oh no mam, we are here as guests."
The response of the tallest boy left Claire raising an eyebrow.
Claire wasn't the only one either.
Mrs. Delirious raised a skeptical eyebrow and a look of annoyance crossed her face "Do not waste my time boys, there are no guests. Step aside or I will have you escorted."
The tallest boy simply looked amused "Ah my dear" he said with a devious smile "you must be mistaken. We are indeed guests of honour."
Now Claire wasn't the only one leaning in for the excitement. Line waiting was becoming unbearably boring.

"Boys, I am in no-" Mrs. Delirious was cut off by the boy. Now this would get interesting. No one cut Mrs. Delirious off.
"Check that list of yours miss. I am quite certain there should be two by the name of 'Blackthorn.'"
Something about the way he said it made that old girl look down at her paper.
Claire waited for the signature eyebrow twitch, the boys to be lit up by her fury; but it never came.
"Ah yes" she said with a small smile "my apology boys come right in."