Chapter 1 ~ Start

Chapter 1

I felt something hard grab onto me and pull me through the ocean water. Whether I was getting pulled to the surface or deeper down into those dark depths I didn't know. My eyes were open but the black spots marred my vision too much and I couldn't see a thing. I couldn't think properly my brain was so disoriented. A great light burst out in front of me and I knew I was dead. Was I finally going to discover what there really was to look forward to after our short, human lives ended?

My bruised and battered body was being tossed , flopping around as if it were boneless. The cool wind that blew across my skin was chilly and I could only think that somehow I was flying up to heaven at a great speed. Breath had found its way back into my lungs and I gasped, trying to get as much of it in as possible. Life flooded back into me. At least that's what I think was happening. The only other explanation I could come up with was that my spirit and my body were parting ways. I wasn't that sure which one I was praying for more. At the same time that I wanted to live, I didn't want to live my life.

Dying wouldn't solve my problems but it would sure make sure that I didn't have to face them. Well, no, not really. I'd have to watch how everyone I knew, whether I like them or not, lived their lives. I'd have to die knowing that my mother and I parted on very bad terms. As much as I didn't like her at this particular moment, I knew I still loved her and that wouldn't change. So, I had to live. I wanted to live. I wanted to grow up and know more of life.

What felt like finger tips brushed across my throat. I lay there, unable to move, as some strange slimy stuff was dribbled along my stomach and my head was wrapped in something that felt like the bottom of a snail and smelt heavily of sea salt and sea moss. Two soft, warm hands covered both my cheeks and I felt someone else's breath feather across my skin. The person spoke in a low, gentle tone. The lyrical way in which the syllables were pronounced told me they were female, but I had absolutely no idea what they were saying. I studied a couple different foreign languages and I had never come across something even remotely similar to this. The words rolled off of her tongue and made her sound like a foreign princess. Those languages of love had nothing on this one. A few minutes passed and as the girl or woman stopped singing, or chanting, or whatever she had been doing, I felt delicate, smooth lips brush lightly over every surface of my face excluding my own chapped ones. I was still trying to figure out what was going on when a black calmness consumed me.

~*~

I wasn't sure how much longer I lay there, but I awoke feeling more alive and energized than ever before. This is probably what normal people feel like in the morning; I laughed at myself. Only I could wake up abnormally. I should have put abnormal load on the back of my grade 12 jacket, with an arrow pointing upwards.,

"Well you sure can sleep." My head snapped to the right to take in a gorgeous blonde-haired, green-eyed, beauty. Wow. I mean; WOW!

"Uh..." Oh yeah, I'm sure that sounds very smart. Apply for a speech and drama scholarship while you're at it; surely no one can resist listening to your silent stupidity.

"Don't worry; I know how you're feeling right now. It's a bit much to take in." This girl, no, woman, smile down at me and I swear if my eyes weren't so determined to keep staring I'd have passed out in bliss.

"Eh... yeah... I guess so. Um, uh, but what am I supposed to be taking in?" I reluctantly forced my eyes to stray; taking in the small room. The surface beneath me was hard, but smooth and not uncomfortable. The air was fresh and salty. The floor looks like it had a thick glass covering over a layer of multi-coloured sands. The walls were made up of smooth stone of every colour of blue in existence. This was certainly amazing.