Chapter 1

Inside the car was so cold, I felt like I was a few minutes away from turning into the iceberg that sank the titanic. I had the heat on in the car but that was barely doing anything since I was parked. A few minutes later, I saw Hannah’s blonde hair jogging out of the apartment and into my car.

I ignored the chill that ran over my body when the cold air got into the car. “What the hell took you so long?” I asked her before pulling out of the apartment parking lot.

“I was just making sure I had everything.” She tossed her overnight bag in the backseat of my car before smirking at me. I rolled my eyes at her. Hanna’s mother went to a conference in the next town over and won’t be back until tomorrow. She hated staying in her apartment alone, so being the amazing best friend I was, I let her stay over.

“Is Dylan staying with your mom?” she asked. I raised a brow at her then lowered my eyes to give her a sly look.

“No, why?”

“Nothin’”

I chuckled before turning into my dad’s driveway and parked the car. I grabbed her bag from the backseat then got out the car and headed to open the front door as quickly as possible. I swear I was gonna kiss the floor when the warmth enveloped me. Hannah grabbed her bag and headed up the stairs to my room, probably to get changed.

“Dylan?” I called out. I heard him yell something from down in the basement but decided against going down there. As a sixteen year old teenaged boy, there’s no telling what the hell he could be doing down there and I wasn’t in the mood to have another awkward ‘walking in on my brother’ moment.

“Where is he?” Hannah asked and she hopped back down the stairs. I shrugged and motioned to the basement door. She scrunched up her face as if she’d had the same thought I did about a minute ago. She stepped closer and hopped into my arms, luckily I had the strength to hold her fat ass or we would have toppled over. Hannah wrapped her legs around my waist and her arms around her neck then placed her head on my chest. I felt like I was carrying around an 18 year old baby as I plopped us down on the couch.

We were in the same position when I spoke up. “Remember how we met?” I asked her. She giggled into my chest before sitting up on my legs.

“Who could forget?” I caught myself laughing as well at the memory, though at the time it wasn’t all that funny.

About 8 years ago when I had move from my old neighborhood to one just a few blocks away. Seeing as my dad was hardly home (which we now know affairs were responsible for) and my mom worked from home so she didn’t have much time to leave the house. She had a timetable for when she’d go shopping, do laundry, when it was her turn to take us to school and everything.

Anyways Dylan and I had to ride to school that day because Dad didn’t come home from his trip and mom didn’t have much of a notice, and couldn’t leave whatever she was doing. The ride to school was fine, apparently Dylan had to leave early for a dentist appointment so I was on my own for the ride back.

I used the same path Dyl and I used earlier that morning but there was something different this time. As I rode swiftly down the street, I heard growling. Before my heart could quicken a Rottweiler rushed out the yard at me. I was in panic mode. My feet were moving so fast but it felt as if the bike wasn’t moving at all. Then my shoelace decided to get caught in the pedal and I fell off the bike.

There were tears in my eyes and I was prepared to be that dog’s dinner but then, I heard a high pitched whistle and saw a little girl with pigtails run over to the dog and he automatically calmed down. That fake ass dog.