You know the tale. The overdone, 'find your soulmate' universe, each with its own unique set of rules. Well, this one is different. There are no rules.

They say that I'm a special case. That I was born with a possibly dysfunctional Indicator. Their first assumption was that I had a recessive Mark – something vestigial, something that my body had stopped developing in order to create a dominant Indicator, such as Blindsight or a Countdown – because no-one in recent history had been born with an active Indicator. It usually lies dormant in a person's genes; something to be discovered at a later age, after a significant period of personal development. Otherwise, how can a person find their soulmate if they do not know who they, themselves, are?

I believe that ideology to be stupid, imbecilic. Fate already knows how we will grow and mature: what our first word will be, and the weather on the day we die. Society has no right to assume that Fate has no clue of the person, or people, we are destined to be with.

Then again, most people do not assume that Fate plays any role in the appearance of our Indicators. I'm the minority, that special kind of crazy that collects trinkets in a shopping cart while chattering incessantly about the apocalypse to anyone with an ear. I...

Will see my rambling ass out the door. Sorry to bother you. I know we both have lives to live. Good luck with yours, 'cause God knows I could use luck in mine.