Chapter 6

"You alright, Peyton?" Nathan asked after a few minutes of driving.

"Great," I sulked, watching the palm trees blur together against the setting sun. Happy couples paraded the streets, holding hands and laughing at crafted jokes. I wanted to open the window and hurl my shoe at their heads. "Why wouldn't I be okay?"

"Well, you haven't said anything in ten minutes and you keep looking out the window as if your life depended on it." Nathan paused. "You just usually can't shut up."

I narrowed my eyes at him.

A few more silent minutes went by. "Did you like the play?" Nathan finally asked, breaking the silence.

"It's great," I lied, digging my nails into my thighs.

"Really? Who's your favourite character?" he asked, taking a left. The sky was pink mixed with swirls of orange and blue clouds. It reminded me of cotton candy.

I racked my brain and decided to go with a safe, obvious answer. "Hamlet."

"Isn't it crazy when Hamlet kills his sister?" Nathan said, pulling over to a weeded section on the beach.

"Absolutely crazy," I whispered. "I totally wasn't expecting that twist."

Nathan laughed and shook his head. "So, you haven't read the play?"

I sighed in defeat.

"Hamlet doesn't even have a sister, does he?" I whispered.

"Nope but at least you got that part right." He smiled. "Peyton. I don't care that you haven't started reading it yet. But promise me one thing?" he asked.

"What would that be?"

"Don't lie to me. Please. There are two things I hate most in this world: liars and cheaters."

"Promise not to lie to me either?" I asked.

He half-smiled and put out his hand. "Deal." We shook hands.

My body was sticky from the heat and the anger that I'd bottled up at Nadia's house. How could somebody be so perfect? And why was Celeste falling for her good girl act? She was an entitled, little --

"Do you want to get out of here?" Nathan asked.

"What?"

"You seem like you need a break from El Jolla for a little bit. From people."

"Where did you have in mind?"

"Somewhere that makes everything seem less important."

I nodded and buckled my seatbelt. "Let's go."

*

We drove for thirty minutes or so before a large, beige building came into view. It had turrets on both sides and stone carvings of dinosaurs and Greek gods and goddesses. Two large oak doors stood at the front entrance, looking inviting and tantalizing. The windows were dark and clouded.

"The museum?" I asked. "Isn't it closed at this time?"

"I have connections," Nathan winked in my direction.

We exited the car and walked up the stone steps of the museum. I ran my fingers against the cool, metal railing. I hadn't been to the museum since elementary school. I couldn't even remember what they exhibited here.

Nathan dug into the pocket of his jeans and pulled out a key.

"You have a key to the museum?" I whispered.

"Well, I do work here."

"Celeste never mentioned that," I said.

"I'd rather if you didn't mention it to her," he smiled. "I'm just trying to make some extra cash. No one from school ever comes to the museum." I waited for more of an explanation.