[ 24 ] After 200 years . . . it was about time

Dedicated to @CuteyCakess  for the gorgeous banner above. 

  ➴       ➵       ➴       ➵       ➴       ➵

C H A P T E R

T W E N T Y   F O U R  

I guess history is repeating itself.

Is having some peace for one day too much to ask?

As usual, Stacey manages to get inside my head in order to provoke me. The last time I rebuffed her plea to stay away from Anthony, she let me know that she had things left in store for me at Evangelina's party.

My ignorance resulted to her spilling her punch juice on my dress. She is definitely up to something bad and it'll be wise not to let her words slide.

Regardless of the innumerable chitter chatters and fingers pointing directed at me in the hallway, I maneuver myself in front of Stacey making her rear backwards.

"What the hell did you mean by that?" I demand in a moment of impatience.

She regards me patronizingly. "You're smart enough, figure it out."

I block her path as she attempts to stride to the other direction. "Stacey, I'm honestly getting tired of all your snide comments. If you want to make a point across then assure that it makes sense dammit."

She rolls her eyes before signing in defeat. "Fine since I enjoy tormenting you, might as well tell you.

"Evangelina has a thing for Noel, I mean it's pretty obvious – "

"Is that what she told you?" I interject, not believing her statement for a second.

Her face contorts with annoyance. "If you want me to explain what I meant earlier, don't interrupt me."

I fold my arms across my chest and choose to let her finish.

"You two have become friends lately. I know it, you know it, hell...everyone knows it. The fact that you're acting like you're oblivious of her crush on Noel is pretty fake to me. I'm sure she's going to screw you over in the end for going after the guy she likes.

"And once the story unfolds, I'll just be here to witness the whole thing with a bag of popcorn." she discloses brutally but I don't miss the hint of amusement evading her tone.

Vexed, I purse my lips. "You mean like the way you screwed me over back when we were best friends?"

Her nose crinkles. "See that's the thing, we were never best friends to begin with Emery. Sure we were friends, I'll admit that. But just so we're clear, you and I were never best friends. The thing about you is that once you become friends with someone, you get so attached to that person that you instantly categorize him or her as your best friend. First you did it with Anthony, me..."

She pauses for a few seconds before continuing. Her upcoming words cut deep.

"But have you ever stopped to think that the feeling might just not be mutual?"

A cruel chuckle escapes her throat before she takes retreating footsteps and I don't do anything to stop her. By the time she's formed a distance from me, I throw a glance over my shoulders to meet her gaze.

"I wouldn't get so attached to Evangelina if I were you." That's the last thing she tells me before heading to the opposite direction.

As I watch her retreating back, I can't help but think that she somewhat has a point. As much as I hate to admit it, I've always been quick to befriend people without thoroughly getting to know them first.