Chapter 7

Serena's POV:

"Thanks," I forced a half smile as Becca handed me a hot cup of tea.

"I called Cindy while I was in the kitchen," she sat down next to me.

"How is she?"

"She was thankful for my concern, but she's a mess....which is to be expected."

"I still can't wrap my head around how God allows things like this to happen."

Becca sighed and reached out to rub a gentle hand across my back. "Me neither. I honestly don't think anyone will ever understand."

"I've known her for the past 4 years," I replied, feeling the tears stream down my face. "That poor little girl has fought lukemia since she was 2."

"She doesn't have to fight anymore. She can finally run and play again," She reached out to grab my hand and gave it a squeeze. "And....she's finally painless."

"You're right," I nodded and reached up to wipe my eyes. "No more shots....no more I.V's, and no more feeding tubes."

"And all in all, she's in a better place," Becca wiped a tear from her cheek.

I nodded, stood to my feet and walked over to the massive window that overlooked the city below us. My mind raced to Danny. How was I supposed to tell him that his best friend was dead? Worst of all...she had died from the same disease that had tried to take him

I was rattled from my thoughts when the door open and Louis stepped inside. He closed the door behind him and unzipped his hoodie, revealing McKenna. She was nestled against his chest in her baby pack.

"Hey.." Louis said softly, as he tossed his keys onto the table. Becca jumped from the couch and hurried over to him, swiftly reaching to pull McKenna from his chest. "Whoa...whoa.." Louis made a face as the pink bundle let out a whimper. "What the hell, babe? Careful." He turned to the side a bit so he could get McKenna out of the pack.

"Just give her to me," Becca replied as Louis handed her over. Becca clutched the baby against her chest, planted kisses on her head and turned her back to both of us.

"I've had her out longer than that before, ya know..." Louis shook his head, holding back a chuckle. "You act as if I was gone for a month." He pulled his hoodie off and laid it on the back of the arm chair across from me.

Becca didn't reply, but I heard her sniffle into the baby's hair.

"Bec..." Louis looked at me, confused. "What's going on?"

I stepped away from the window and wiped the remaining tears from my eyes. "It's Cassie."

Louis looked to me and raised an eyebrow. "Wha-"

"She's gone," I sighed, feeling more tears fall down my cheeks.

His eyes closed and he slowly shook his head. "Fuck."

"Have you seen Liam and Danny?"

"Yeah, they should be here any minute," he replied. "How long ago?"

"A couple hours now."

He pushed his fingers through his hair. "How are the other children?"

"When I left, none of them knew."

He nodded and turned to pull Becca to him. "You okay?" He pressed his forehead against Becca's and reached up to wipe the tears from her eyes with his thumb.

She nodded with sniffle. McKenna let out a whimper between them.

"She's probably hungry by now," he said, as the baby started to suck on her fists. "I'll go grab her a bottle."