Chapter 5- Truth Hurts

When Hunter, Jas, and I were all 10, we would go on the internet and look up our names. One time, we looked up Jasmine's name and we found all of her modeling pictures. She was a tween model. We looked up my name up and Jasmine came up again. I think people assumed it was me since we were identical. If I would've told you to close your eyes and we would shuffle around wearing the same clothes, you couldn't tell the difference. We looked up Hunter's name and a guy with mugshots came up. We thought it was hilarious. Oh, if we only knew.

After the call, there was absolutely no way in heck we would be able to fall back asleep. What a great way to spend a Sunday morning. We were too anxious. So we snuck out. I get dressed in all black clothes like in the movies and I creep down stairs without being heard or noticed. Hunter does too. We slightly open the door and it makes a huge creek sound. Ashton wakes up. "What are you guys doing? Are you gonna rob a bank? Can I come?" He asked excitedly. Brandon woke up. "No dumbo, they are going to break into a house." Brandon smacks Ashton's head. "Okay guys, go back to sleep. We are not robbing a bank or breaking into a house. Please don't say anything!" I loudly whisper. Hunter doesn't say a word. We go out and get in Hunter's car. We make our way to the station and Hunter is burning to know who these people are. The both of us get there and we tell the cop who we are and what we are here for. "You're early. Follow me." We follow the cop and she leads us to a waiting room of some sort. There's a lab behind us. Another cop comes out and says "Hunter Rowland?" Hunter and I stand up. "Please. Come."

We walk in and the officer warns us about disturbing images. Whatever that's supposed to mean. We walk into a room where there is a black and white wall for people to line up. "They can't see you or hear you, you can only see and hear them. Please let us know if you recognize any of these people." We both nod. "Suspect #1 please step forward." "No." Hunter immediately says. "Suspect #2 please step forward." "No." The officer looks surprised. "Suspect #3 please step forward." "No sorry." The officer sighs as a sign of stress "Suspect #4 please step forward." Hunter and I look at each other in shock. We both say it at the same time. "YES." It was the man, the myth, the legend, Nick Mason. He sits Hunter and I down. "This man is a killer and he killed a girl that you have a connection too." Hunter looks deep into his eyes waiting for an answer "Do you know a girl by the last name of Avalon?" "That's me! That's my last name." I yell. "He killed Jasmine, Jasmine Avalon." I look at Hunter and he looks at me mortified. I cry hard and it's at the point where I think I'm screaming. "I'm sorry, I hate to say it.. But we aren't done..I will come back in half an hour and give you two some alone time." The officer walks off.

I cried myself to sleep on Hunter's shoulder in the waiting room. He was hugging me the whole time I was sleeping. I woke up and checked the time, 4:24 am. We have 2 more hours until everyone wakes up, I thought to myself. "Hi gorgeous.." Hunter tells me. I grin.
The officer comes back. "Are you guys ready?" "We have to be ready at some point, right.." Hunter responds. "Now, this is very intense. You guys are identifying a body which means you will be telling me if you recognize the dead body you see." The officer says. We open the doors and we see a body. "Do you recognize this man Mr. Rowland?" I think hard, looking in my brain files. I know this man! "Yes! I know him. His mugshots came up when we looked up Hunter Rowland on the Internet." Hunter's beautiful light green eyes widen. "Nick Mason also killed him. Hunter Bryce Rowland, I'm sorry but this is your dad. Ryan Rowland." I saw him cry like never before. Out of frustration, sadness, anger. I hugged him and comforted him, the same way he would do to me.

Was Nick really the killer?