Chapter-28

Cool fingers lightly brushed back the hair from my face. It was comforting, and it's been a while since I've felt any gesture of affection. I waited for every tender caress. It reminded me of when my mother would do the same while lulling me to sleep.

I slowly opened my eyes and met scorching grey ones through the fog.

I was laying on a bed and Adrian was leaning over me. He looked at me with an expression of concern that was so uncharacteristic of him. He sighed with relief when he met my gaze.

My head was on his lap.

Everything was murky. I tried to get up but Adrian pushed my shoulder, forcing me back. He studied me for a moment.

"Don't get up, you have a mild concussion. You'll be fine in a few hours, go back to sleep, I'll wake you up every few hours, don't ask questions."

"But-"

"Doctor's orders." He interrupted.

"Sure, doctor." I mumbled weakly.

He leaned back and sighed before running his fingers through his thick, dark hair. The light caught the sharp angles of his face, he looked beautiful.

"You look amazing." I mumbled.

He gave me a heart stopping smile. "I know, you told me about fifty times yesterday." My cheeks flamed red.

"You scared me, I thought you were badly hurt." I whispered, I was tired. But my vision was already clearing.

"So did I. Go to sleep, Chevie. There's enough time to fight and blame each other later." He said almost gently.

"Each other!? This is all on you, honey." I joked weakly.

"Sleep you little idiot. You're much nicer when you're asleep." He said, going back to his usual snarky self.

But I did feel him stroke my hair again as I fell asleep next to him.

✴✴✴

"You drool." Adrian said when I awoke. He was lounging on a white chair in the small room.

"Thanks." I said, surreptitiously checking the corner of my mouth for drool. Yep.

"Did you dream about me?" He asked. Smirking.

We were in a white room. Sterile. Like a psych ward of a mental institution. A single white telephone was hanging from the wall.

"Adrian..." I started.

"Shh. Didn't I tell you not to talk?" He chided.

"I feel fine." I said. And it was true.

He got up and leaned over me once more. He put his lips to my ear, making sure his words were hidden by my hair. His breath tickled my earlobe. His lips brushed against me as he spoke.

"There are cameras and bugs all over this room. We need to get out. Now. I think your concussion has gone, but we'll have to be careful. Any plans?"

I put my arms around him. To anyone else it will look like we were hugging.

He had a nice back.

Just how hard did I get hit on the head?

"No. By the way, do you work out?" I whispered in his ear.

"A little. Try to think of something. Get us out and I'll handle the rest. What plans did you think of when I held you captive?"

"What about the water-wall thing?"

"Won't work. Different locking mechanism. Can only be opened from outside. What else?"

"I planned on setting your house on fire." I said sarcastically. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Note to self: Think before you talk.

Adrian stiffened in my arms.

"Adrian, no. There's a reason I didn't do that. Adrian are you even listening...?"

"Good idea."

"I have a concussion!"

"From the way you're screaming, I have my reservations. And I've done a PhD in this. Help me get the fuck out of here."

"Adrian."

"Trust me. I won't let anything happen to you." He coaxed in a saccharine sweet voice, holding me closer. I totes believed him.

"I got hit on the head and kidnapped. Again."

"That's entirely a result of your stupidity."

"The cameras have no wiring." I pointed out.

"No."

"Lithium battery. Explosive, but it wouldn't cause a fire."

I felt a slow smile creep across Adrian's face. "Did you know that Cologne has a high alcohol content?"

"And Castellino wears a lot of it. And cotton suits."  I whimpered. "Oh shit."

I felt his grin widen against my cheek.

"Get the battery, Castellino will come to see what's wrong and why the camera died. It's early in the morning. About 7:32. Don't look at me like that. I know what I'm doing. Having a high IQ has its perks. He would be getting ready. With loads of that Cologne." With that he pulled away, his face looking angelic and innocent. Which was fine except he wanted to set a person on fire.

Though the thought of a sleazy ball of fire running across the corridors did hold some merit.

"Okay. But get ready to run." I relented.

He untangled himself from me and I found myself missing the warmth of his body and the sense of comfort it brought with it. Comfort. Hadn't felt much of it for a while. Maybe a sliver of it with Dylan, but nothing like this.

Small problem: His occupation.

I distracted myself by trying to extract the battery. Instead I messed with the arrangement of the wires, the short circuit should cause enough heat to make it go boom.

I kept the camera near the door. It could go off any time now.

Adrian was right, unfortunately. The door did burst open and Roberto Castellino did come in and snarl at me. I could smell him before I could see him. Shit, what if things go wrong and he dies?

Fuck it.

His two goons stood next to him with weapons. Castellino frowned and bent down to pick up the camera.

At that second there was a loud pop that resonated through the room. Like a scream in the mountain.

The sleeve and the front of his shirt erupted into a small inferno of golden flames. Castellino started screaming, loudly, and his guards tried to put it out, burning their own hands in the process.

I felt a tug on my wrist as Adrian took a gun from a guard and pulled me outside the room. The white corridor was filled with even more guards, six of them, their menacing features gleaming under the fluorescents.

"Adrian!" I yelled and pulled him back. It was too late.

They had pulled their guns on us. Loaded, bullets ready to  tear our bodies to shreds.

+++

Muhahaha. ;) So, what's up with Adrian? Is he using her or does he actually care? I can't believe it took 27 chapters for them to express any affection. I'd originally expected a kiss in the first seven chapters, but whatever.

PS: #1 in Action!? How!???