XII - Confession

Cheska

They had to make the unscheduled stop when Cee fell from her horse, and they hadn't left the grove ever since. Panic had made its way into her veins the moment she saw her fall. It felt like her heart dropped at the same time it happened, and she had been restless. She managed to stop the bleeding, but she knew she was not just physically wounded. The magic Cee used to cover their tracks drained her energy—not to mention she was already weak due to lack of rest—and she was undoubtedly poisoned. It was fortunate that her mother had insisted she study the basic art of healing.

Lysa simply sat quietly every time she took care of Cee. She tried to keep her emotions in check to prevent her hands from trembling and breaking down. Right now, she knew the woman needed her strength.

It had been almost three days since Draco found them, but luckily he hadn't tracked them yet, and Pyre had been a great support for them, bringing them food and keeping them protected with her pack. But most of the time, the direwolf would curl up by Cee's foot, softly whining as if calling for her master to wake up. They need Cee to wake up.

I need you to wake up, Cee.

"You're more than just a princess, aren't you?"

Cheska looked up and met Lysa's eyes. Ever since they were introduced, there was only sadness in her eyes. And she could see the pain whenever Cee took care of her, and now...

"I'm... not," she answered. "My mother insisted I learn the arts; I never knew why, but as the eldest, I need to learn all there is to know."

"You were meant to rule beside her; that's why."

"But she is yours," she rebutted before letting out a deep sigh. "I know that the three of us felt it the moment we were in that same room. You know it, as well as she does."

"She chose you," the highborn calmly said. There was a certain resolve in her voice as if she had accepted it. Cheska swallowed the lump in her throat.

"I—"

"She knew you longer than she had known me. You have known each other since you were children. We knew each other... well, about the length of this journey."

Cheska bit her lip. She knew Lysa was hurting, and if she could, she would push Cee away, but she couldn't. The more she tried to suppress her feelings for the elemental, the more they intensified.

"I... I'm sorry. I know—"

Before she could finish her sentence, Pyre raised her head and looked towards the entrance of the grove. Startled by the sudden movement, Cheska quickly stood up, drew her sword, and signaled to Lysa to stand behind before putting herself in front of Cee. But Pyre's body language was not defensive. She was whining as her tail wagged.

A man suddenly burst from the foliage.

"Pyre! Where have—" he paused as he took in their position, and his eyes lingered on Cee, "—you been? I've been looking all over for you."

The direwolf trotted towards him, and he affectionately patted her head before shifting his gaze from Pyre to the unconscious Cee, to Cheska, who was pointing her sword at him.

I am not seeing this. It was Cee's identical twin. Even if he did not look like her, the eyes gave it all away.

Cheska was about to speak when he drew his own sword. "Who are you, and what are you doing with her?"

She knew he wasn't talking about Pyre. The man glared at her, but the direwolf jumped between them. The man lowered his sword but still looked wary.

"I am going to ask again. Who are you and what are you doing with Chalisandra?"