42: argue with your fists

"People who fight fire with fire usually end up with ashes." - Abigail Van Buren

--)->

Daryl sat up quickly, ignoring the stabs of pain the sudden movement shot through his abdomen as a loud commotion of yells and shouts started up outside the door across from where he was lay

Daryl sat up quickly, ignoring the stabs of pain the sudden movement shot through his abdomen as a loud commotion of yells and shouts started up outside the door across from where he was lay. Cursing under his breath, he fought against the discomfort beneath his ribs to a sitting position, tugging the thin sheet away from his legs and blinking a few times as a wave of vertigo hit him.

He gulped twice, his throat dry from lying on his back for too long, looking around to gather his bearings as the room remained hazy in his mind, the ruckus from the other room getting louder by the second. Perhaps Erin had been right about staying off his feet, but he knew if the noise echoed around his head for too long he'd more than likely go freaking nuts.

Involuntarily, a groan escaped his lips as he lugged himself off of the temporary bed he'd been sprawled out on, his knees complaining against the weight that was suddenly forced onto them. As his feet touched the floor, he realised someone had removed his boots, but they weren't a priority as he stumbled towards the closed door, his ears beginning to ring as the yelling was maintained by more shouts and yet more yells.

Dazed, he somehow managed to pull open the door, finding himself faced with a scene of chaos and confusion on the other side. Barely a foot in front of him stood Erin who seemed to be trying her best to separate Shane and Merle. Though, with everyone else crowding round and chipping in with their own yell which was lost amidst the rest, to say she was struggling would be an understatement. Her terrified face was a striking contrast to those of the men she was prying apart, both of which were red with fury as they spat slurs at each other, arms flailing despite Erin's best efforts.

Behind them, Lori and Carol were fussing over Rick whose face looked worse than a walker's. Bleeding and littered with purpled bruises similar to those Erin inflicted, the sight led Daryl to wonder if she was the culprit, but a sudden glimpse of red streaked across his brother's knuckles soon dismissed that idea and confirmed a shocking but inevitable truth...

He knew it wouldn't be long before Merle picked a fight with someone who wouldn't - or couldn't - fight back, but he'd honestly been hoping it wouldn't be this soon. When he'd originally seen the way he clashed with Erin, Daryl had feared that was what would get them kicked out, but she was thankfully a lot gutsier than he'd judged and could handle Merle's antics - it was clear by the morning's events that her tolerance was only to a certain extent, but Rick was highly pacifistic and had evidently tried to talk with Merle. Daryl knew well enough that words meant nothing to Merle when he was angry...

After a few more yells and shouts and a couple of scared glances sent his way from Hershel and then from Erin's hazel eyes, something inside him snapped, filling him with a weird sort of strength and confidence, "Hey!"

His deafening yet cracked roar was just enough to cause heads to turn in his direction, but it was also substantial enough to send his head reeling yet again, forcing him to grasp the doorway for dear life as the world wobbled nauseatingly before his eyes. Merle and Shane were the only ones who didn't stop, continuing to push against Erin's arms and spit insults at each other, audible now that the room around them was silenced.